What powers the barrel turn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
MannyDirectLoad.gif

^^^This is what I think is the hardest concept for most kids to get
Check out what he does with the top hand wrist on that location. Notice how he loads the barrel into the swing launch. Swing launch and barrel launch are not the same thing. Separating them allows for a clearer discussion.

Wanna teach your hitter how to stay long through the ball? Get them into the position young Manny is in at the end of that gif. Get the top hand right. From there, ask them to complete the swing - full out-front extension. Now work back to the top of the hand-set. Work on being short to while long through.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
Check out what he does with the top hand wrist on that location. Notice how he loads the barrel into the swing launch. Swing launch and barrel launch are not the same thing. Separating them allows for a clearer discussion.

Wanna teach your hitter how to stay long through the ball? Get them into the position young Manny is in at the end of that gif. Get the top hand right. From there, ask them to complete the swing - full out-front extension. Now work back to the top of the hand-set. Work on being short to while long through.

Howe a question. I was watching a college softball game on TV the other day and one of the announcers made the comment after a hitter had launched a rise ball over the fence, the statement was made that some hitters are beginning to use a split grip, which they claimed produces a top hand heavy swing, against rise ball pitchers. I've been meaning to grab a bat and experiment, but weather and time has not given me the opportunity to experiment so far.

I would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks

May 4, 2012
MannyDirectLoad.gif

^^^This is what I think is the hardest concept for most kids to get

^^^This is how you WHIP the s**t out of the bat.

Get off the computer, actually pick up a bat and go stand b/t a couple of mirrors and emulate. Then help your kid do it. Describe however you want, the video coupled with ACTUAL emulation is priceless.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Howe a question. I was watching a college softball game on TV the other day and one of the announcers made the comment after a hitter had launched a rise ball over the fence, the statement was made that some hitters are beginning to use a split grip, which they claimed produces a top hand heavy swing, against rise ball pitchers. I've been meaning to grab a bat and experiment, but weather and time has not given me the opportunity to experiment so far.

I would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks
Hi Peppers,
I'm sorry, it's not something that I've ever worked on or have experience with. It wouldn't be fair for me to comment.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
^^^This is how you WHIP the s**t out of the bat.

Get off the computer, actually pick up a bat and go stand b/t a couple of mirrors and emulate. Then help your kid do it. Describe however you want, the video coupled with ACTUAL emulation is priceless.
That is where the whip comes into play.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Here's a fun one.
PedroiaDLL.gif

Two things jump out at me immediately.

1) He does an excellent job of keeping his hands inside the ball on a very difficult pitch to handle (probably should not have swung at all...)
2) His rear elbow maintains distance from his torso -- does not get stuck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez