What powers the barrel turn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I understand the confusion over learning a good sequence leading to the barrel getting turned if you live in the rear leg drives the swing world. How else can you get the barrel around if you are back and back? You need to place a lot of emphasis on torquing the handle.

Get forward and back and create the correct stretches/resistances in your core and hips and get the hands to the correct position and the barrel will get turned into the zone early and stay there.

That's why I posted these gifs in the beginning of the thread it starts here. During the 'load:
MiggyHandDirection2.gif

Hands and eyes setting up directions.
Which gets the hitter in a better position to 'turn the barrel forward towards the ball':
MiggyHandDirection.gif

Apr 1, 2014
annatwksgif.gif

The drill consummates rotation about an axis, then follows with a punch. The sequence becomes a PUSHED swing in real time.

bagdrillgif.gif

Same thing: The hitter turns his core above and below his hip socket through a common axis of rotation. Then he “throws”. We relate to this as separation created by “walking away from the hands”.

The hitter appears powerful. I submit he would be challenged with a bag sitting on the plate.

The high level hitter will muster core elements, that by the time he is turned onto his side in the demonstration, his elbow would have been slotted in delivering a palm-up body blow into the solar plexus of his boxing opponent pinned to the ropes. And he will do so with consummate force.

A primed scapula with proper hip socket separation powers the swing. “Hip socket separation” under this context is what we do not get.

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
bagdrillgif.gif

Your submission is correct. That floor demo above is trash(the resistance is wrong) and the live punching bag swing has a spin element to the hitters left(3rd base). The contact is laid off because He is pulling to the left with His hip rotation. Resistance is lacking.
Scapula priming(I assume you are speaking of the rear scapula?) is a band aid to cover up an improper weight shift caused by a lack of proper resistance. . The scapula priming you speak of would be used to disguise a timing issue or slack. Maybe we are saying the same thing but from different viewpoints?

Apr 1, 2014
…Scapula priming…is a band aid to cover up an improper weight shift caused by a lack of proper resistance. The scapula priming you speak of would be used to disguise a timing issue or slack.

Bagwell_rearleg.gif

Bagwell swings in place. Weight shift is not the requirement. Yet, he creates hip socket separation with divergent and competing levers above and below the socket. By the end of his hand pump (i.e.. handset close to rear shoulder), his scapula would have been primed for the punch to the ball the moment he needs it.

What is not intuitive is that the hands do not get to point of launch by independent movements: The handset gets there because of the scapula.

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Bagwell shifts his weight, there's no doubt about it. Not directionally as in towards the pitcher like many do but He does shift.
And i say the scapula is reactive to another force, not a director. So I guess we are not saying the same thing.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2014
Bagwell's center of gravity upon load is the center of gravity of his launch. He powers in a phone booth. Now tell me, where does he shift?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Anybody have a Griffey Jr. clip to post?. All the hitter examples posted so far are big, strong, power hitters. IMO, the role and importance of sequence and hands are better illustrated in the hitters whose power is more the result of near perfect mechanics rather than muscle. Given that, although the biomechanical movements may be accurate, TBao's mechanical representation implies to me a swing that is directly powered by muscle motor. Pendulums and whips better impart the concept and importance of proper sequencing IMO.

FFS - as far as hands go, without proper sequencing, even smart hands aren't very helpful

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red