What powers the barrel turn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
TeeDrillRH.gif

RyTee.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
How would teaching sequence *guarantee* proper hand action? IMO, it won't. Educated, live-and-independent or simply just "good" hands (or as FFS pics demonstrated and RHC said, proper hand torquing and tight hand pivot point) are crucial, and WON'T come naturally to most hitters.

I know most instructors/coaches talk about working from the ground up, but when starting from scratch with a hitter I teach hands first. Show them how to work the barrel with the hands. Explain what a hand pivot point is (the old Tewks video of how turn-the-barrel-at-the-shoulder essentially *IS* the swing). Let them feel what an arm swing feels like and what it feels like to take the arms out of the equation (as active movers). Demonstrate how the hands are the ends of the whip (and the body's big muscles and movements are the engine, not the arms). THEN (and yes...this is the harder, more important part) build the platform and sequence on top of which the hands work and get optimized.

My two cents...

A healthy viewpoint.

I didn't want to argue GM's point, but my viewpoint is that simply getting the hands to a particular position is not sufficient. The sequence of the swing will largely unfold based on what is done. What is done is actually important. Getting the hands to a particular position in the swing is not a guarantee of having a healthy swing. The sequence is a result of what is done.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
One of these hitters is applying torque to work the barrel. One of these hitters is not.

2ihm687.gif

One of these hitters is applying pressure perpendicular to the bat handle. One is these hitters is not.

ztvn7q.gif

One of these hitters has pre contact extension and one does not.
Ones front elbow has no jut.

I love red hots video, i work on the pivot point, with a bag, for easy quick feedback.
simple reverse chaining for a young player.
annahighbaggif.gif

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
https://mann.smugmug.com/Other/Bagdrill/i-BnwLnDP/0/O/hitters box drilltewks.gif

I have the full clip with sound. basicly what he is saying is get rid of the pre contact extension, and just turn the barrel.

hitters%20box%20drilltewks.gif

i am finding that if you give the "knob to ball" TYPE instruction, or "direction" it helps the hitters.

What i have done is taken what tewks is demonstrating and added the "hand pivot point" for the "bag drill" with no "direction".

i add direction later if needed.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
One of these hitters is applying torque to work the barrel. One of these hitters is not.

2ihm687.gif

One of these hitters is applying pressure perpendicular to the bat handle. One is these hitters is not.

ztvn7q.gif

One of these hitters has pre contact extension and one does not.

Mann, there are no frames of pre-contact extension in the above GIF comparison. Miggy's swing is shown up to the 'short-to position', thus it is too early to be seeing pre-contact extension in a good swing.

Apr 1, 2014
The elite hitter swivels with a coupled force between the two hands in the first two frames in a five-framed swing. Its aim is to get the top hand instantly into the plane of the ball. The top hand sends a linear PUNCH to the inside seam of the incoming ball. The hitter pre-determines a mark on his target across the plate at the instant of launch: The barrel turn emerging from proximity to the rear shoulder is merely a byproduct of that intent.

A problem lies in how the bat held in the vertical becomes oriented into the lag position instantly in the two frames it is required. Most will be unable to accomplish this because of the inability to leverage the requirements. Most end up will with a push.

The swivel is not a simple 180 degree turn of a frisbee: It is created by the supinated quarter turn of the top hand; the bottom hand supports that supination. The event is associated in the slotting of the rear elbow. The high level hitter PUNCHES to the ball, and launches with his BACK. The elbow slot is outward visual for the important core events that must occur. That SNAP in the hitter's swing is intimately linked to the work of the scapula.

Braun_teetogame.gif

The first two series in Braun’s drill is deceptive. Bath path appears similar. His bottom and top halves relative to the hip socket interact in generating a completely different mechanism to the launch in his game swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I love red hots video, i work on the pivot point, with a bag, for easy quick feedback.
simple reverse chaining for a young player.
annahighbaggif.gif

RHC was talking of an approach to learn about hand usage, and then using the lower body to support that hand usage. That is not what we see here. What we see here is a lower body pivot. Since the upper body is incorrect here, this would not be "Pivot the Swing". If it works for you, then that's fine. When I work on the pivot I like to see it performed so as to be supportive of a good swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
https://mann.smugmug.com/Other/Bagdrill/i-BnwLnDP/0/O/hitters box drilltewks.gif

I have the full clip with sound. basicly what he is saying is get rid of the pre contact extension, and just turn the barrel.

hitters%20box%20drilltewks.gif

i am finding that if you give the "knob to ball" TYPE instruction, or "direction" it helps the hitters.

What i have done is taken what tewks is demonstrating and added the "hand pivot point" for the "bag drill" with no "direction".

i add direction later if needed.

Since you have the audio, listen to the first sentence ... "This is in response to Swingbuilder's taking the knob to the ball". He is against this, not for this.

In the video he preaches "barrel to the ball" over "knob to the ball". He speaks negatively of the notion of "knob to the ball".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez