What is your number one reason you do this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What is your #1 reason for this softball journey?

• DD obtains a scholarship

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • DD learns the importance of hard work and overcoming adversity

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Social engagement for DD and the family

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Family time spent together

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • You hate money

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Have yet to figure it out

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My daughter struggled socially we thought sports would help her open up... 3 years in and she barely talks to her team but she's turned into a heck of a player and really REALLY likes how the more she practices the better she gets. But she did actually call a pop fly the other day šŸ˜‚

Wish your DD luck.

I picked socially too.

Jun 30, 2020
I was curious and the sport seemed fun. So far its brought out my favorite aspects of all the sports I've played. My friends want to play in collage and I want to play against them or with them so now I'm trying to pick up my grades and taking school seriously for once (Its very boring and annoying to sit still or not do something else during classes but ive been getting better at it, slowly) . I enjoy it, but its not the sport that made me who I am currently. Still, I enjoy it and its very nice to see your progress on the field and think about how much you've changed.

Feb 20, 2020
I picked socially, but everything else except the scholarship applies. It's been mostly DD and I for the softball stuff, and I would not have traded that time with her for anything in the universe. Now that she's driving herself to practice and coaching I'm realizing how much I miss it. And I'm glad to see her be tough and brave and be willing to keep going back to the circle even though she's not dominant. And i do hate money. But for her, I think, it's been having a group of friends she can count on -- it took her a few years, but she's found her core group and she adores them all.

But like someone else said, I do it because she wants to. Her mom and I had tried to talk her out of it a few times, and even she knows her time is coming to an end. But she loves it -- still her favorite thing and a way she defines herself -- so that's the major reason.

Mar 6, 2016
Many other reasons not listed.

Playing a sport to stay active and healthy.
Play to learn what it means to be on a team and work with/help/support others.
Play for pure enjoyment of playing a sport.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
About 14 years ago, my oldest daughter started her first year of kid pitch and said she wanted to learn how to pitch. I dove in head first and became what some refer to as ā€œa crazy bucket dad!ā€ I sought out advice from other parents and coaches. I checked out books and videos from the library. I bought books and videos from the internet and I scoured YouTube for anything I could find. We attended local lessons and clinics. I even started emailing and calling various pitching coaches throughout the country! Overall, we found a wide mix of teaching and opinions; much of which seemed conflicting.

We also watched our first Womenā€™s College World Series on TV which was an amazing experience! The talent and speed of the pitchers was incredible. I also discovered an amazing feature built in to our DVR: slow motion replay! It was about this time I began to realize that what we were seeing in these elite pitchers on TV did not match much of what we had been learning.

Along my journey, I stumbled upon this incredible DFP community and as a result, Iā€™ve been fortunate enough to study, learn from and work along side some amazing, coaches, parents and pitchers.

This collaboration has helped me progress, refine and connect the dots. Learning otherā€™s cues or ideas, then trying them myself and with my kiddos has been huge. Cues that I initially thought were strange, sometimes clicked and ended up in my toolbox.

What Iā€™ve learned more than anything, is that thereā€™s always more to learn. Retired UCLA Coach Enquist taught that itā€™s ok to teach what you currently believe in full confidence--knowing-all-well, that in a year or two--you WILL look back and wish youā€™d known better!

Thank you for the kind words @STRIKE3

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
...have you found other coaches on DFP who want to learn?
Read posts of people commending what DFP offers, helping them.
I also find its a wonderful assortment of info to draw perspectives from.

Since people learn in different ways.
Not always asking, often observing.
Perhaps annonimity on dfp helps some people be more comfortable with questions?! And exchanging what each thinks with others.
Even through pm's have noticed.

You know even with all of what I learned from my mentor, and coaching, I still learn things, from watching games, talking to college players and coaches, and yes even DFP.

My litmus test on what I have learned and new techniques? First - Believe your eyes. Second - Does it make sense. Third - Don't be afraid to fail.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
About 14 years ago, my oldest daughter started her first year of kid pitch and said she wanted to learn how to pitch. I dove in head first and became what some refer to as ā€œa crazy bucket dad!ā€ I sought out advice from other parents and coaches. I checked out books and videos from the library. I bought books and videos from the internet and I scoured YouTube for anything I could find. We attended local lessons and clinics. I even started emailing and calling various pitching coaches throughout the country! Overall, we found a wide mix of teaching and opinions; much of which seemed conflicting.

We also watched our first Womenā€™s College World Series on TV which was an amazing experience! The talent and speed of the pitchers was incredible. I also discovered an amazing feature built in to our DVR: slow motion replay! It was about this time I began to realize that what we were seeing in these elite pitchers on TV did not match much of what we had been learning.

Along my journey, I stumbled upon this incredible DFP community and as a result, Iā€™ve been fortunate enough to study, learn from and work along side some amazing, coaches, parents and pitchers.

This collaboration has helped me progress, refine and connect the dots. Learning otherā€™s cues or ideas, then trying them myself and with my kiddos has been huge. Cues that I initially thought were strange, sometimes clicked and ended up in my toolbox.

What Iā€™ve learned more than anything, is that thereā€™s always more to learn. Retired UCLA Coach Enquist taught that itā€™s ok to teach what you currently believe in full confidence--knowing-all-well, that in a year or two--you WILL look back and wish youā€™d known better!

Thank you for the kind words @STRIKE3
I wish I could explain the journey better but I can't. Your words are my words and the path has been so similar it makes me realize I am not alone trying to accomplish the same things. Thank you for the "thanks" @Ken B and it has been an incredible journey and one I will always remember with my girls. They won't forget it either and remind me often (especially my oldest) of the times we have had together. Softball has made my memories, relationship with my daughters, and members of this site over the years extremely special. Still more work to be done but that is why it is so fun! Back to the bucket for me.

Best to all!

S3

Jan 8, 2019
I love my DD. I love this sport (and baseball and slow pitch to a lesser extent). My goal for DD was to teach her to play well enough that she could teach her kids to play some day. She passed that skill level years ago. My goal now is to support her in any way I can, and hope that we can share our passion for the sport with others for as long as possible.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
One more thing I wanted to add, when me and another guy started our 12U travel team from a church / rec team, I never focused on wins and losses but more about teaching.

My main goal at that age was development for middle school, Iā€™ll never forget just how proud I was when EVERY girl on our team made their MS team and was a starter, seems like a lifetime ago!

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
[QUOTE/] NBEcoachpost: 592351, member: 16743"]
yet to come across any coach who wants to learn what I have accumulated over the years.
I'm searching for that coach who wants to learn.
[/QUOTE]
Keep looking we're out here!

As to not leave out the many...
:)...i'm acknowledging those who do seek out knowledge to grow softball!
Appreciate the effort!
Whomever we are!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00