Board Treasurer Doesn't Ever Share Financials - WTF Do I Do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Yup, on our board (very loose) we email the group: "Coach needs a new pitching mat, found one on amazon for $180. Can we approve it?"

May 29, 2015
Yup, on our board (very loose) we email the group: "Coach needs a new pitching mat, found one on amazon for $180. Can we approve it?"

When I took over, we had coaches showing up with all kinds of receipts for all kinds of stuff. ("I bought this $400 bat for my team!") We had to nip that in the bud. We developed a new policy that we would not reimburse for anything that did not have pre-authorization, and pre-authorizing was rare. As a local rec league, it was important to me that ALL teams had the same things issued from the league.

A better practice would be for the coach to come to the meeting (or submit the request) and say "I need a new pitching mat. Could I have authorization up to (insert dollar amount here) and I will start looking?"

Best practice is coach submits "This is the pitching mat I want" and the proper person purchases it.

Jul 22, 2015
One practice that helped our board was to require 2 signatures for any purchase over $100. Of course, this was instituted AFTER the league accidentally paid for uniforms twice and couldn't get the 2nd payment back from the company who went out of business.

Oct 4, 2018
When I took over, we had coaches showing up with all kinds of receipts for all kinds of stuff. ("I bought this $400 bat for my team!") We had to nip that in the bud. We developed a new policy that we would not reimburse for anything that did not have pre-authorization, and pre-authorizing was rare. As a local rec league, it was important to me that ALL teams had the same things issued from the league.

A better practice would be for the coach to come to the meeting (or submit the request) and say "I need a new pitching mat. Could I have authorization up to (insert dollar amount here) and I will start looking?"

Best practice is coach submits "This is the pitching mat I want" and the proper person purchases it.

Fortunately we have just one coach. Managing an entire rec league is a much larger animal, for sure.

Jan 25, 2022
Our boosters consists of a few of us. Basically I message the lady who runs the account and say "can we get this" and she says "cool" and she orders or I just bring her a receipt. We're pretty low key, but it's just for a middle school team. She's also super organized. I trust the others implicitly. So much so that when their daughter moved on to HS I asked them to just keep their positions. We're also pretty careful about who we let into the fold. People aren't interested in being on the board anyway. Most of the parents stay as far away from commitments as possible. Softball in this town at all levels is basically coordinated by maybe three or four people total. People dont want any responsibility these days.

For OP, I would just ask that financials be presented at each meeting. It's pretty simple. I can't imagine that the other members wouldn't want to know things were copasetic.

May 29, 2015

That article doesn't mention the relationship, but that was another thing I highly recommend. We added this when we re-did our by-laws: the President and the Treasurer could not be related (marriage, blood, or otherwise). I tried to take that a step further and require NOBODY on the Board of Directors could be related, but that didn't pass.

The Board's argument was that it was a small town, so relationships are abundant. What happened was the husband-wife team (VP and Treasurer) took over and are still running the ship aground.

Jul 27, 2021
Lots of good advice and stories of when things go bad.

I have been on a board that was rather lazy and it can be tough. For the health of the organization, be the one that fixes the problems. Keep on insisting. Use a bunch of soft suggestions before the wrecking ball. Small orgs have no budget for any litigation. Doing things right keeps your org healthy and safe. Little story, I friend of mine on a board had a lawyer friend send a letter (using "client" and not names) to the organization about a complaint of financials. A little scare did quite a lot.

Most states have sunshine laws that govern all types of public organizations. In the absence of a good set of bylaws, Roberts Rules of Order are the standard. Lots of volunteer board members don't read through Roberts Rules or state regs.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
That article doesn't mention the relationship, but that was another thing I highly recommend. We added this when we re-did our by-laws: the President and the Treasurer could not be related (marriage, blood, or otherwise). I tried to take that a step further and require NOBODY on the Board of Directors could be related, but that didn't pass.

The Board's argument was that it was a small town, so relationships are abundant. What happened was the husband-wife team (VP and Treasurer) took over and are still running the ship aground.

They were husband and wife and got a slap on the wrist.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad