What is she doing wrong?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2015
Thanks guys, really appreciate the good feedback! She's trying to get in shape, her core strength is good but needs to be better, I would say her flexibility in her hips is not good, and her ankles and calfs are weak. We started crossfit, but had to stop I just couldn't afford it. The high school is doing conditioning 3 days a week that starts Monday and she's been running 3 days a week in the morning. If she keeps it up I'm sure it will help.

There are plenty of excellent body weight exercises she can do. They may not replace Crossfit but you'd be surprised what plain old jump squats and stairs will do. Have her run bleachers. Running of any kind will benefit her since she needs to avoid running out of gas, but anything with an incline or any exercise that works her lower body will work wonders. Calf raises, body weight squats, etc. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 10, 2013
Here goes my little piece of advice.

When it comes to arm circle, acceleration must be gradual. The peak of acceleration must happen at the last moment when ball is delivered.
To me she's russhing with her arm (and motion) at the beggining and slowing it down at delivery. When you do that, you can't avoid slowing the arm.. it happens naturally to balance timing.
That's why we have the impression she is throwing 3/4 speed.

Yet, the first reaction to slow speeds kids usually take is to rush with the arm even more... The down effect increases
I have seen this happen to many kids and I was able to identify this effect with myself too

So, ask her to think of constant acceleration. Start slow and keep accelerating increasing so when the arm gets to 9:00 - 10:00 she can bring it to delivery as fast as she can.
If possible, try to count the frames in each phase of the circle and you'll probably confirm this effect by yourself. Ideally, the number of frames in the last 3/4 should be considerably lower than the rest of the circle.

Just my two cents

isn't a pitcher supposed to decelerate the shoulder at 9 o'clock to allow for greater whip? sorta read that somewhere

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Mothgirl, I think she looks pretty good but...she really has no overlap. Take your video of her in the Coaches Eye and just rock back and fourth on her backswing arm motion. Look at it in relationship to her hips (ignore the bending over). The arm is going backwards but her body (momentum) is frozen. Once the arm reaches its peak on the backswing then her body starts moving forward. The hips should move forward at the same time the arm is swinging backwards.

At three o'clock the foot should start moving away from the rubber. Notice your daughter's foot starts moving away almost at 12 o'clock. Watch some live pitching video of the greats, their foot often moves away from the rubber before 3 o'clock. Without overlap all the sequencing will be off and power lost. I learned all of this from JavaSource. I worked with this on IR2 for two weeks before she got it. That is the most glaring thing wrong that I can see with the videos you posted.

Buy a Nikon S1 camera (400fps and very cheap) and video her with that. Then we can really see what's going on with the whip if anything. But first...overlap.

Last edited:

Edy

May 24, 2010
isn't a pitcher supposed to decelerate the shoulder at 9 o'clock to allow for greater whip? sorta read that somewhere

Not exactly
The upper arm should decelerate when it reaches the rib cage. At 9 o'clock the arm takes advantage from the ground reaction forces and accelerates more..
Note that the deceleration we're talking about is not a conscious effort. I mean you don't try to decelerate it. It happens naturally as the elbow is pivoted (aka whipp) and allows the lower arm to accelerate through delivery
Some folks here refer to it as brush interference.

If you decelerate the uper arm at 9, you kill the whipp

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The upper arm pausing at the ribcage is often called "lock." Brush interference has to do with the forearm contact on the hip/thigh:
BI.JPG

Edy

May 24, 2010
Mothgirl,

Please take a look at this video of Ueno pitching

Pay close atention of what she does with her left arm when the right arm is going front-up.
I found that this style is comom in Japan and I believe this helps a lot in terms of timing. The left arm can't go as fast as the right arm because of body balance. So, if you "throw' the left hand in the circle, you keep the right arm from rushing. As the hips get fully open and the left arm clears the way the right arm starts the acceleration

I gave it a try long ago and it helped me with timing A LOT..

Sep 10, 2013
Not exactly
The upper arm should decelerate when it reaches the rib cage. At 9 o'clock the arm takes advantage from the ground reaction forces and accelerates more..
Note that the deceleration we're talking about is not a conscious effort. I mean you don't try to decelerate it. It happens naturally as the elbow is pivoted (aka whipp) and allows the lower arm to accelerate through delivery
Some folks here refer to it as brush interference.

If you decelerate the uper arm at 9, you kill the whipp

ah. ok. my clock is a little fast :)
thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00