What is she doing wrong?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
This was from game today, this is the second time she's got to pitch for this team. She's been on the team since March. She did ok. I didn't keep her stats she only pitched 2innings. It's a crappy video but it was so freaking hot I couldn't even move, I think I have heat stroke right now!

https://www.coachseye.com/v/V6rS
When I watch it full speed the thing that jumped out at me is she never stops, always moving forward. Her bicep may pause. I think it because she's been trying to get everything moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Work on her drive mechanics OFF the rubber and not FROM the rubber. She has really good whip, but its not reaching its potential by her lack of resistance. In a nut shell, get her to lean into the drive with a strong quad and calf, then finish by getting a firmed up front side while staying BEHIND her front leg and not UP OVER IT.... Good Luck, James

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Work on her drive mechanics OFF the rubber and not FROM the rubber. She has really good whip, but its not reaching its potential by her lack of resistance. In a nut shell, get her to lean into the drive with a strong quad and calf, then finish by getting a firmed up front side while staying BEHIND her front leg and not UP OVER IT.... Good Luck, James

after I showed her the video she firmed up her front side and pitched much better on Sunday in warm ups, but they didn't use her Sunday. Her PC is working with her to get her to lean forward and keep her chin down. I'm trying to make her do JavaSource's drills to help with drive and timing but she 14 and doesn't want to listen to her mother sometimes, and then sometimes she's asking me for my help. We have a long road

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Mothgirl.

How often do u radar yr dd?

I do not radar my dd very often. There is nothing worst to them then a slower speed than what they had before. It is a motivational killer. I just tell her we need to keep working and we don't care about speed. The speed will come with the work we put in. If she just thinking about the speed, she will probably b slower b/c she will tense up when trying to muscle the ball.

Good luck.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Mothgirl, quite a few people lately have either submitted videos of their DD or have asked directly "What is overlap?" I'm trying to put together a video of the top pitchers and their overlap and another video show young pitchers who have no overlap. I'm not ready yet but here is a sample of the model overlap pitchers. One thing to note, not all overlap is done the same. But there comes a point for all of them where the ball is behind the pitcher, her hips are in front of the rubber, and legs are at the attack angle. That is where your daughter has to get. Enjoy.

[video]https://youtu.be/E5BNR6Bmnyo[/video]

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have always told my DD that speeding up her backswing is not going to make her pitch any faster because everything must come to a complete stop before it goes back the other way (like a golf swing). I have always been a big fan of a slow, methodical backswing that allows a pitcher to get ready to explode in the other direction. It is like pulling back a rubber band before you shoot it off your finger - pulling it back quickly does not make it go any further when you release it.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Willy thank u! love the video great job so far, I showed my dd. she still doesn't quite understand what overlap is but the video was better than my explaining! I'm not real good at explaining (even simple stuff)

Riseball- I I'll check out her elbow at release, I've been focused on her arm/ball position at home cuz I still think she's got some tweaking there that could really help her velocity.

Sbcowboy-
I don't radar her cuz I don't have one, PC has done it 3x's we have been goin to her 1yr. Her TB team has done it twice and when the radar comes out she muscles it even more then normal and really slows down

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse