What is pitching average speed for 10U?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
My 9's--41, 38, 33, 31--ave =35
My 10's-- 46, 46, 45, 36, 36, 36, 36, 31 --ave = 39--I've got that one kid that brings the average way down.
ave overall = 37

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I've never clocked my DD. Had 3 people ask me Saturday how fast she pitched. When I said, "I have no clue.", one looked at me like I should have child services called on me.

I guess if I had access to a gun, I'd check it, but I haven't seen a reason to "find out".

Am I over looking something?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've never clocked my DD. Had 3 people ask me Saturday how fast she pitched. When I said, "I have no clue.", one looked at me like I should have child services called on me.

I guess if I had access to a gun, I'd check it, but I haven't seen a reason to "find out".

Just say that Grandpa clocked her at 50 and they'll leave you alone.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

No. At that age the opposing batters will let you know if your DD is throwing hard enough. If someone happens to have a gun you can ask them to clock your DD just for your information but I wouldn't go out of my way to find radar readings on 9 & 10 year olds.

Oct 22, 2009
Just say that Grandpa clocked her at 50 and they'll leave you alone.

I had a pitching mom once whose DD was fairly new to pitching ask me how fast did I think her DD was pitching, so I told her and she seemed a little down about the number I gave out.

She told me she was at her DD's little league game--in our area, girls LL was way behind ASA league skills at the time--and she was talking to a mom in the stands that told her her DD used to pitch too (10u), but she gave it up because she didn't really like it. She said it was a shame because her DD threw really hard, clocked at 60mph she told this mom. My pitching mom thought it sounded fast but really didn't know how fast 10u's pitched.
I then explained to her that I highly doubted this 10yr old threw 60, and to add, "didn't like it", unless she just couldn't ever find a 10u catcher that could catch her!

Jul 17, 2012

Actually, I would say yes, you are missing something. Forget about the concept of being able to brag to everyone how fast your kid pitches at her next tournament, or game. It's a great tool for benchmarking progress. As part of a young pitcher's progression, speed and accuracy are the 2 major areas you're going to focus on.....call me captain obvious on that one. As with anything worth working for, you want to know if you're improving, staying the same, or getting worse. With pitching speed, the gains are typically so moderate, that it's difficult to measure progress visually. It's also beneficial for them to set goals. It gives them something to work for. I am a firm believer that feedback on progress motivates kids to continue to work hard(er).

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
My daughter for instances cruises at around 44-46 when she is really on. We have another girl on our team that cruises at around 47-48 and has hit 50 a few times. These are not made up times I have gunned them myself and have seen others and there readings also from everything such as pocket radars, jugs guns and bushnell guns so I know the speeds are fairly legit.
Are you using some formula to add mph using the bushnell and pocket radar. I have not seen either of these guns show the same readings as the JUGS.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Actually, I would say yes, you are missing something. Forget about the concept of being able to brag to everyone how fast your kid pitches at her next tournament, or game. It's a great tool for benchmarking progress. As part of a young pitcher's progression, speed and accuracy are the 2 major areas you're going to focus on.....call me captain obvious on that one. As with anything worth working for, you want to know if you're improving, staying the same, or getting worse. With pitching speed, the gains are typically so moderate, that it's difficult to measure progress visually. It's also beneficial for them to set goals. It gives them something to work for. I am a firm believer that feedback on progress motivates kids to continue to work hard(er).

Thanks. As a fairly new pitcher, we've been working on mechanics and accuracy. Haven't really worried about speed yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODorr