What does optimum footwork look like?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2011
I'd like to hear some opinions on what proper footwork looks like. A review of the Model Pitchers shows that most elite pitchers swing their drive foot directly behind their stride foot either into a figure 4 or close to it ( Osterman, Finch, Hall, Lawrie etc.) while some draw a (mostly) straight line into their stride foot (Abbot, Fincher, Fowler). Some have their foot pointing straight down with toes dragging smoothly and some contort their right foot into positions that look as if their ankles will snap. Is this all a matter or style or is there such thing as sound drive foot mechanics?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I think you answered your question. The answer will probably depend on who you ask. I think a better, or at least a more consistantly answerable question might be. What is considered bad drive foot (pivot foot) mechanics.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD only throws a fastball and is working on drawing a more or less straight line to her front foot, like the first video.

The 2nd video of Cat, ignore the leap, is from the same game and her drive foot finish different because of what pitch she is throwing.

syxz7o.gif

5yz0ip.gif

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Consider that whatever you do, it's for a purpose; not because someone else says it's better or does it that way. Our bodies compensate for everything we do on it's own. If we train it to do something it isn't doing naturally and does not benefit other than asthetically, it serves no purpose. Heel click, figure 4, slight donkey kick--not 100% sure it matters. I do believe that the plant foot must be no less than 45 degrees at plant, and that the stride leg finish is often dictated, in part, by that angle. Back to my suggestion--be positive that forcing her to do the heel click finish is natural and compliments the other aspects of her form.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32