Garcia - both feet moving

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Made a post in another thread and want to add to it here. Rules for the most part in the US are that you have to keep both feet touching a 6" by 24" rubber. The 6" are from drive foot to stride foot. This in not alot of space to work from as most of you know! It can be very difficult to get going and really push from the rubber with such little runway and standing straight up. With that said, if you look at many great players, they figure out away to make it happen and the example below of Garcia is a good one. Both feet basically take a "turnout". We are aware of drive foot turnout but not many are aware of a stride foot turn out and either was I until I saw this. Play it in slow mo to see it and counting on Shaker to make a GIF :p

Also, if you take a look at Ricketts, Parker, Brooke Vestal (frosh at OU), and the list goes on you will see a flat stretched stride foot at or close to completion of the backswing following by an immediate and significant drive foot turnout as they go forward. It is pretty cool if you are looking for it.
Also, Jennie Finch is one of my favorites to get her feet moving before she actually goes. Lastly, not only does Garcia get both feet turning out, drive foot rocking, she also has a push push that #KENB [MENTION=10217]Ken[/MENTION]B #Ken-B [MENTION=10217]Ken[/MENTION]-B #Ken B [MENTION=1891]Ken B[/MENTION] pointed out in my earlier Garcia video. Sorry, Ken B did something really cool that I don't quite understand yet but it sent me a message by doing a hash tag or @ sign so trying to return the favor.:D

Point being is IMO, you have to get the party started and cannot rely on simply going forward. You don't have enough runway with the current rules so you better do something like the pitchers stated above to give you the push you need.

Just food for thought and wishing all a very happy turkey day!

S3

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
[MENTION=7284]STRIKE3[/MENTION] ;)
The push back drill can help kids get a feel from starting the drive from the back foot.

Gtrips07's daughter demonstrates this well:
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/20HEY62VqKVdcm2JbS" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/20HEY62VqKVdcm2JbS">via GIPHY</a></p>
[MENTION=15531]Gtrips07[/MENTION] I consider your DD's footwork to be almost classic 2 step sequence and something I work towards teaching all my kids. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Good stuff Ken B and glad it worked and worked again! ;)

Yes, that is a great vid! I would encourage others to give it a shot!! Game Changer! Also, try the Garcia move above! It might blow you away as well. Bottom line, unlock those feet before you go forward and the sky is the limit!

Thanks again Ken B!!

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Made a post in another thread and want to add to it here. Rules for the most part in the US are that you have to keep both feet touching a 6" by 24" rubber. The 6" are from drive foot to stride foot. This in not alot of space to work from as most of you know! It can be very difficult to get going and really push from the rubber with such little runway and standing straight up. With that said, if you look at many great players, they figure out away to make it happen and the example below of Garcia is a good one. Both feet basically take a "turnout". We are aware of drive foot turnout but not many are aware of a stride foot turn out and either was I until I saw this. Play it in slow mo to see it and counting on Shaker to make a GIF :p

Also, if you take a look at Ricketts, Parker, Brooke Vestal (frosh at OU), and the list goes on you will see a flat stretched stride foot at or close to completion of the backswing following by an immediate and significant drive foot turnout as they go forward. It is pretty cool if you are looking for it.
Also, Jennie Finch is one of my favorites to get her feet moving before she actually goes. Lastly, not only does Garcia get both feet turning out, drive foot rocking, she also has a push push that #KENB [MENTION=10217]Ken[/MENTION]B #Ken-B [MENTION=10217]Ken[/MENTION]-B #Ken B [MENTION=1891]Ken B[/MENTION] pointed out in my earlier Garcia video. Sorry, Ken B did something really cool that I don't quite understand yet but it sent me a message by doing a hash tag or @ sign so trying to return the favor.:D

Point being is IMO, you have to get the party started and cannot rely on simply going forward. You don't have enough runway with the current rules so you better do something like the pitchers stated above to give you the push you need.

S3

Here's your gif Strike3, I added another pause at the end to highlight the FSR, notice her hop, she pushes up

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

S3

Love the thoracic extension in her windmill motion.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Abbott has a ton of foot movement, too. She's similar to Waldrop, but I think she slides her drive foot even farther to the other side of the rubber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28