Well, here it is...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
For further discussion

To this comment about pitchers driving forward.

While the pitcher is driving forward,
THE *dragging their back leg/toe in the dirt, could actually be problematic to injury.

There is the possibility that removing that particular anchor dragging behind the pitcher May alleviate an unnecessary part of mechanic that could be causing injury.
( thinking it through, if you were driving your body forward, while dragging your foot behind you, is a driving pulling forward and restraining/dragging happening at the same time)

In comparison throwing overhand generally the majority of the time we push off our back leg and our foot comes off the ground. We drive with Incredible Force forward and there are not throwing injuries because of the foot coming off the ground. Injuries are generally sustained through bad angles of throwing mechanics.

Additionally could bring up hitting mechanics and the differences of how batters will use their legs. Including some keeping back foot planted and others lifting it up.
It isn't the foot coming off the ground which would be the issue, if there is one. The difference would be due to the reasons your knees,hips, etc feel much lousier after sprinting vs walking when you are old like me and things like that are noticeable. Like you said people drive hard already (so the difference is smaller than comparing sprinting to walking) so if there would be an issue it would probably have to be cumulative over a number of years.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
It isn't the foot coming off the ground which would be the issue, if there is one. The difference would be due to the reasons your knees,hips, etc feel much lousier after sprinting vs walking when you are old like me and things like that are noticeable. Like you said people drive hard already (so the difference is smaller than comparing sprinting to walking) so if there would be an issue it would probably have to be cumulative over a number of years.
Agree could be cumulative over a number a Year's.
Which could also be from things like walking on old shoes where the soles are worn out lopsided.
One leg slightly shorter longer than the other.

May 27, 2013
Yes they ARE driving their weight forward and downhill at that!
⬇️

⬆️ that is an example of how they are using their body within their mechanics.

Right - I agreed that they ARE driving their weight forward BUT are not leaping - and are still sustaining injuries. Now, consider the fact that SB pitchers may now drive out harder and leaping may occur as a result of the more forceful drive which could potentially result in an increase of knee injuries. That’s what I’m trying to say could potentially happen - and maybe is why LE’s PC stated what she did.

May 13, 2023
Right - I agreed that they ARE driving their weight forward BUT are not leaping - and are still sustaining injuries. Now, consider the fact that SB pitchers may now drive out harder and leaping may occur as a result of the more forceful drive which could potentially result in an increase of knee injuries. That’s what I’m trying to say could potentially happen - and maybe is why LE’s PC stated what she did.
⬆️Possibly / maybe ...by Shifting the point of force and resistance.

In that same way leaping could be alleviating problematic area somewhere else by not dragging the anchor.

However leaping is still only going forward (not necessarily gaining a lot of height in doing so, aka: matter of an inch or so)
it is just not having to drag.

Which leaping is different than hopping in the air and the necessity to replant before pitching.
If people were purposely going to take on the Crow Hop with Replant
this discussion would expand further.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24