Wear another team's practice uniform to tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
I think it is in poor taste to show up with another teams uniform. It accomplishes nothing and you are taking a chance on the try out coaches reaction. Tournament shirt (tucked in) and softball pants are what will make you look like a player. Don't be "that girl".

Aug 5, 2012
Wear something that sticks out. Last Wednesday's tryout we were referring to the girls as black/green socks girl, red pants girl, UC Davis shirt, Yellow shirt....

It always helps to to wear something that's a bit different.

I completely agree with this. We do the standard number system and when watching dozens of girls, it helps if you wear something that makes you stand out a little, just for the coaches to have something to reference. We had a girl this year with purple streaks in her hair so she became that girl with purple streaks in her hair.

Aug 10, 2012
Thanks everyone for the help!! Thanks to you I didn't only make one team, but THREE! So i got to choose the one I want :) thanks so much, Maddie

Jun 3, 2010
I attended a hitting clinic at the University of South Alabama a couple of years ago with some of our high school girls. There was a player dressed in white pants, North Carolina Blue Tshirt with nothing on it, a white under armour turtle neck, white head band, and matching blue socks. She was dressed to a T, and she stood out over every girl there as far as catching your eye in a crowd of 12 girls in a group.
I sat in the stands that day watching the groups hit on the field, probably watched 60 plus girls, every time she walked onto the field, you would notice her. Others sitting around me noticed her as well and commented on her appearance.

It is human nature, you will gravitate to things that look neat and nice over sloppy and tacky all day.

Wild socks and a pink or neon yellow batting helmet make me think a girl is straight out of park ball when I see them. A logo on a batting helmet from a well known organization will make you sit up and take notice sometimes. I saw a logo this past weekend for Georgia Impact on a girl in a tournament in Alabama, I was immediately thinking if she played for GA Impact , she is more than likely a good stick, I sort of changed how I wanted to approach her at the plate since I had never seen her before or didnt know anything about her. But based on the logo on her batting helmet, I was giving her respect.

I say look nice at a tryout, but do it with class and tact!

Nov 29, 2009
The best thing I saw a player wearing at my tryouts was a bright, solid colored, plain t- shirt with her last name on the back of it. She had black softball pants on with matching socks. Her shirt was tucked in and she stood out from the other players. Her parents understood that tryouts are about standing out and getting noticed. That says a lot about the family. They understand what the process is and tend to be good parents for the team. Oh.. BTW... She was a great athlete too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog