Vision - 20/40

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do not honestly understand the vision numbers. DD wore glasses occasionally in school, never in softball. She is not vain, she wore them when she thought they'd help her.

Me, I am blind without contacts or glasses so I always had something on.

If your DD decides to wear glasses buy shatter proof ones.

Jun 8, 2016
I do not honestly understand the vision numbers.
20/40 means you can (only) see things (eg read the eye chart) at 20 feet that the average person can see at 40 feet.

I developed an astigmatism my soph year in HS. I wore contacts to play ball but honestly they bothered my eyes so much I think it made things worse. I think contacts for people with astigmatisms have improved a lot since then.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
His vision was great (20/15 supposedly). That said:

In Williams' case, most of the legends are true. He was one of the greatest hitters ever, one of the greatest fishermen ever, one of the greatest fighter jet pilots ever. But later that day, when John McCain stopped by, Williams set him straight on one particular myth about how his extraordinary vision -- it was said only 1 in 100,000 could match him -- enabled him to see exactly where he hit the baseball spinning furiously towards him.

"I told all my friends that I was coming to see you," said McCain. "I bet fifty of them said, 'Ask him could he really see the laces on the ball?'"

"shirt, no," Williams barked. "You're readin' all these sportswriters. Jesus. Listen, that ball looked like a pea to me comin' in there once in a while. Hell, no, I couldn't see the laces."

Also the 1 in 100000 is overstated. 20/15 is top 95th percentile for the age group he was in when he was tested.
I had 20/15 in my youth. I was like Bugs Bunny reading the manufacturer information at the bottom of the chart. That all changed when I turned 24. Still, at 51, I am at about 20/45, but I wear my glasses to watch TV and drive. It's the reading glasses that drive me nuts.

If the ball looked like a pea to The Splendid Splinter, imagine what they looked like to the average player.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA