Vinci JCV-22 Catchers Mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2011
DD used her older brother's first baseman's mitt catching through second year of 10U rec ball. I wouldn't buy one, though.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have a question regarding my 10yr old daughter. She is on her first non-rec. ball team. She has always played second base in rec. ball, but the coach asked me if she would consider catching. Any recommendation for a mitt? It sounds like dual hinge is the way to go. She is medium size for her age, maybe a little small. Right now she uses an 11" A440 glove made by Wilson. She likes the glove and it is broken in. We have a crop of new pitchers with little to no experience, so I was wondering if a catcher's mitt is necessary at this point (I don't think the pitchers have the speed to sting the hand yet). What is the downside of her using her mitt? I don't mind buying her a glove, but I want to make the transition as easy as possible. Plus, if she doesn't like it, I don't want to be out the $. If she needs a glove, what would you recommend? Would it be the same size as her fielder's glove. Thanks!

The big question is how fast the pitchers are and how well your DD can handle them. My 9yo DD is catching pitchers who are throwing 42-45mph for strikes on a regular basis. She is using a Mizuno GXS101 mitt ($60-ish new) with and EvoShield thumb guard and still gets stung on the palm once in a while. The thumb guard has made a big difference in her hand protection, and I highly recommend it.

For 10U with an 11" ball, you will probably want a catchers mitt in the 32.5-33" range. Personally, I don't see a downside to using a catchers mitt. I'm a believer in using the right equipment for the position.

Feb 5, 2013
She is using a Mizuno GXS101 mitt ($60-ish new) with and EvoShield thumb guard and still gets stung on the palm once in a while. The thumb guard has made a big difference in her hand protection, and I highly recommend it.

I second the recommendation of the EvoShield thumb guard. DD used to have thumb issues all the time and hasn't had any since she started using it.

FYI, DD has the MizunoGXS92 and is catching girls up to the mid 50's without any issue. It is a little larger than the GXS101 and has thicker padding ... although nowhere near as thick as some of the high end gloves, like the Vinci's.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wish I had run onto the evoshield thumb guard years ago. I had a deep bone bruise on my thumb, that never had a chance to heal. The guard has been great for protecting my thumb.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I see a lot of mitts for fastpitch that are 34"...how do you know which is the best size?

A 34" will work for 11" or 12" balls just fine. The issue we ran into was mitt weight. I upgraded my DD to a Miz GXS92 (34"), and it turned out to be to heavy for her. That new GXS92 is now sitting on a shelf, and my DD is back to using a GXS101. I would have liked to get her a Vinci JCV-22, but needed something that I could pick up locally. I don't expect the GXS101 to last multiple seasons, so my DD may end up armed with a Vinci in the future.

Being able to maneuver the mitt effectively, and hold it in a good receiving position for a long, hot game is a concern. Because of this, I tend to suggest a slightly smaller mitt for 10U. A lot of this depends on your DD, however. Mine has been sprouting vertically, and her strength hasn't caught up with her height yet. Your DD may be able to handle a 34" just fine. Just keep weight in mind when you're making your choice.

Oct 10, 2011
A 34" will work for 11" or 12" balls just fine. The issue we ran into was mitt weight. I upgraded my DD to a Miz GXS92 (34"), and it turned out to be to heavy for her. That new GXS92 is now sitting on a shelf, and my DD is back to using a GXS101. I would have liked to get her a Vinci JCV-22, but needed something that I could pick up locally. I don't expect the GXS101 to last multiple seasons, so my DD may end up armed with a Vinci in the future.

Being able to maneuver the mitt effectively, and hold it in a good receiving position for a long, hot game is a concern. Because of this, I tend to suggest a slightly smaller mitt for 10U. A lot of this depends on your DD, however. Mine has been sprouting vertically, and her strength hasn't caught up with her height yet. Your DD may be able to handle a 34" just fine. Just keep weight in mind when you're making your choice.
DD's done growing and her coach recently told her she was built like a brick wall...DD wasn't happy at all, but he meant it as a compliment.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD's done growing and her coach recently told her she was built like a brick wall...DD wasn't happy at all, but he meant it as a compliment.

Based on that description, a 34" would probably be a good choice.

My little one is lean and sprouting like crazy - I'm really ready to stop buying cleats every 2-3 months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi