Vinci JCV-22 Catchers Mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

C.K

Mar 16, 2012
If you want I have a new one sitting here I could ship to Casey then you won't have to wait. I had Casey build me a Optimus mitt, this was a spare we were going to break in but never did.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
There are also some options for the JCV-22 series catcher's mitts. Although the only leather color available for them is black, they can be ordered with black, gray or navy mesh finger backs. You also have your choice of 10 different lace colors. Pictured below is the JCV-22 series 33 inch catcher's mitts with gray lace and gray mesh back. It's a very lightweight mitt!

995580_704314396255213_1039729945_n.jpgImage1.jpg

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
My older DD has had her JCV-22 from Casey for over a year now, and she absolutely loves it. The younger one wanted a Nokona, so she got the Buffalo Combo. The Nokona is huge by comparison to the Vinci, which doesn't seem to bother her, but the Vinci has much better padding in the palm and seems to reduce sting better. The Vinci is a very nice size as mentioned above, large enough for the 12" ball but not overwhelmingly big.

We may yet end up getting a Vinci for the little one, but I'm going to give the Nokona some time to see how she likes it once it breaks in.

Jan 3, 2014
Thanks C.K. We're not in a giant hurry. I still have to "socialize" this purchase with my lovely wife. So, the fact that it's on back order is actually helpful. :) Living here in Minnesota, whenever I pick up a new bat, or some other pricey piece of gear for my softball playing daughter or baseball playing son, I always have to keep one thing in mind. "Thank God they aren't hockey goalies."

The catcher glove break in post is very helpful too. I've done it wrong before. :eek:

~Laker

Last edited:

C.K

Mar 16, 2012
Your daughter will like it, they break in fairly fast too. Just follow what chazbz1 posted and you"ll be goo to go.

Aug 2, 2011
I have a question regarding my 10yr old daughter. She is on her first non-rec. ball team. She has always played second base in rec. ball, but the coach asked me if she would consider catching. Any recommendation for a mitt? It sounds like dual hinge is the way to go. She is medium size for her age, maybe a little small. Right now she uses an 11" A440 glove made by Wilson. She likes the glove and it is broken in. We have a crop of new pitchers with little to no experience, so I was wondering if a catcher's mitt is necessary at this point (I don't think the pitchers have the speed to sting the hand yet). What is the downside of her using her mitt? I don't mind buying her a glove, but I want to make the transition as easy as possible. Plus, if she doesn't like it, I don't want to be out the $. If she needs a glove, what would you recommend? Would it be the same size as her fielder's glove. Thanks!

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Bit of a hijack but I was recently at a clinic where Ken Erikson was talking about catching. He mentioned that he always used a first base glove catching fastpitch rather than a catchers mitt. How common is that? What are the pro's and cons.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have a question regarding my 10yr old daughter. She is on her first non-rec. ball team. She has always played second base in rec. ball, but the coach asked me if she would consider catching. Any recommendation for a mitt? It sounds like dual hinge is the way to go. She is medium size for her age, maybe a little small. Right now she uses an 11" A440 glove made by Wilson. She likes the glove and it is broken in. We have a crop of new pitchers with little to no experience, so I was wondering if a catcher's mitt is necessary at this point (I don't think the pitchers have the speed to sting the hand yet). What is the downside of her using her mitt? I don't mind buying her a glove, but I want to make the transition as easy as possible. Plus, if she doesn't like it, I don't want to be out the $. If she needs a glove, what would you recommend? Would it be the same size as her fielder's glove. Thanks!

She should be fine using a fielder's mitt to start. If she decides to continue catching, then get her a catcher's mitt - you can probably pick one up already broken in from a slightly older catcher who is moving up to a 33" mitt. IMO, the only real downside is the potential for her to be naturally inclined to use her fielders glove to "field" or catch, rather than block, balls in the dirt.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Bit of a hijack but I was recently at a clinic where Ken Erikson was talking about catching. He mentioned that he always used a first base glove catching fastpitch rather than a catchers mitt. How common is that? What are the pro's and cons.

Catchers mitts and 1B mitts are designed for separate and specific functions - a catchers mitt has more padding and is better suited to block dirt balls, whereas a 1B mitt is better suited for scooping dirt balls. However, it all comes down to what what you grow accustomed to. I know of no full-time catcher that has switched from a catchers mitt to a 1B mitt behind the plate, nor of a catcher who used their catchers mitt to play 1B in game situations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi