Vinci JCV-22 Catchers Mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2008
I ordered a new Vinci JCV-22 catchers mitt from Casey last week Monday (3-26) and it was delivered to my house on Thursday, 3-29. When I took it out of the box, it was plenty stiff as to be expected from a catchers mitt. I fully understand that a catchers mitt will take longer to break in than a regular fielders glove due to the extra leather, padding, etc. It came with a small jar of conditioner and some break in instructions. Thursday night I applied the conditioner to the mitt. So many places are saying how good steaming a glove is, and since there was no place who did the steaming in my area, I decided to just boil water on the stove and hold the mitt above it. While it generated minimal steam and I couldnt have the entire mitt in the steam all at once, I did it section by section. It never got to hot as I was able to hold it with my hands and did it without discomfort. Once I was done with doing that for a few minutes, I just used a bat I had here to beat on the mitt some, as they do when it is steamed in a actual steamer. Mostly around the edges where the leather is thickest, the palm and a little on the rest of the mitt. When done with that, I worked it by hand while watching tv for 10-15 minutes, then put a softball in the pocket and tied it closed. Friday evening I took the ball out of the pocket worked it over for awhile by hand, used the bat to beat on it more, put the ball back in the pocket and tied it closed again. Saturday afternoon I added another coatign of conditioner, inside and out. I then steamed it the same as the first time, used the bat on it, worked it by hand, put the ball back in the pocket and left it. My daughter used it later to play catch with her boyfriend and while fairly stiff yet, she caught the ball well. When she was done, I put the ball back intot he pocket and tied it closed. Sunday, I worked it by hand again. While not perfect, it was alot softer than when I got it. She has been using it in practice all week. It will take a little while to get fully broke in, but so far it is in pretty good shape.
In the past, I tried a Nakona and a Wilson A2K mitt. While these are good mitts, they seemed quite large. My daughter is 17 and has smaller size hands, so mitts as big as these just didnt work out well for her. The Vinci JCV-22 is a 33" mitt and looks smaller and fits her hand alot better. It also does have a nice deep pocket and well as a pocket that is plenty big enough overall for the 12" softball. Last year she borrowed a mitt from another girl and she liked it because it was a smaller glove that fit her better, BUT it also had a smaller pocket and caused to many dropped balls. So far this Vinci mitt seems like a very nice mitt, both fitting and pocket size. I will follow up when it is broken it. From what I saw of it so far, I wouldnt be afraid to put it up againts any of the other big name popular gloves like the Nakona or Wilson A2k mitts. Rebala (casey) is also very helpful with any questions at all that you may have.

Rob

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Good review. I steam gloves in the oven by soaking a bath towel, ring it out, then wrap glove baking it at 350 for 20 min, beat on it for awhile and re steam. Do this about 4 times and they are good. I couldn't care about years and years of life out of a glove, so not too worried. First one (another brand catcher's mitt(don't want to bump off your prop)) is 3 years old now and still in great shape.

Dec 9, 2011
We have the Vinci JCV-22 on the way also from Casey and it should be here tomorrow. My daughter is really pumped about it as am I. I will be posting my reviews as well on the glove and my daughter will be posting her review as wel in the next few days.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
My DGD has had the JCV-22 for about a month. She took the long route by letting her catching coach and his students break it in for her. She had it Sat and was going to use it in the pool game to get used to it before bracket play. But alas, it rained the pool game out. She would not use it in the bracket games because she wanted to be comfortable and was afraid to use it because it was the first tournament of the season with her new team. Her initial reaction is she likes the size and feel of the glove. She said it felt lighter and did not flop as her old glove did and would be easier to control. She will be using it in practice the next couple of weeks and then a tournament. I will post her comments about the glove then, but so far, good reaction.

Oh, by the way, she is 5'6" and 150lbs of solid muscle., moderate hand size.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2010
We have the Vinci JCV-22 on the way also from Casey and it should be here tomorrow. My daughter is really pumped about it as am I. I will be posting my reviews as well on the glove and my daughter will be posting her review as wel in the next few days.

Jason, stop staring at your picture of John Calipari and get us that review;)

Jan 3, 2014
I just ordered a JCV-22 from Casey too. He's a very helpful guy. It's back ordered though. I'll post a review when we get it in a couple weeks. Then, later when it's broken in and in use.

~Laker

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
As this has popped back up...we got a jvc-22 this summer also.
I did not steam it or recommend steaming it, I used it almost daily for about a month before my dd started using it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut