Video on bat path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
FiveFrame, I definitely prefer the "attack, attack, attack" philosophy as you describe it. I prefer it to being overly selective. In fact, with the exception of the most seasoned players, I think players are a tad too much on the selective side. That's my opinion.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Right or Wrong. His team has a winning % over 700 four straight years and has one of the highest team batting averages in college. If you kid goes to this school guess what they will be taught. For those of us that have kids playing for college coaches they own you and its like work. You can do it their way or change jobs.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Right or Wrong. His team has a winning % over 700 four straight years and has one of the highest team batting averages in college. If you kid goes to this school guess what they will be taught. For those of us that have kids playing for college coaches they own you and its like work. You can do it their way or change jobs.

John Tschida's
That's just because he has bleacherdad's DD Brenna.:)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SBF, do you have any in-game examples of his hitters using the barrel path demonstrated?

The answer is that you don't have any such examples ..... because good hitters don't use that swing path when swinging at riseballs in a game. In other words, his win/loss record isn't a factor to be correlated with using that particular bat path for riseballs .... because that bat path isn't being used in swinging at riseballs.

In other words, the Hanson Principle rejects the demonstration. There is no supporting data for what is being demonstrated.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When John described the riseball as traveling through the strike zone as he did in the video, he indicated that his drill had no connection to reality. It simply failed the Hanson Principle. He then proceeded to recommend a bat path that conformed to a distorted view of reality, which also resulted in the bat path failing the Hanson Principle.

Despite being a classy guy, what John termed as one of his best drills, is in reality a drill that would be stamped “rejected” by the Hanson Principle.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
When John described the riseball as traveling through the strike zone as he did in the video, he indicated that his drill had no connection to reality. It simply failed the Hanson Principle. He then proceeded to recommend a bat path that conformed to a distorted view of reality, which also resulted in the bat path failing the Hanson Principle.

Despite being a classy guy, what John termed as one of his best drills, is in reality a drill that would be stamped “rejected” by the Hanson Principle.

True and true. But, if it achieves the desired result..... Which begs the question, is he an effective instructor or just an effective recruiter? Or a combination of both?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
True and true. But, if it achieves the desired result..... Which begs the question, is he an effective instructor or just an effective recruiter? Or a combination of both?

..... or effective in terms of game management?

..... or simply is he an effective salesman? (..... after all he referred to this drill as "One of the best drills I think we have for developing hitters")

Doubtful that he's achieving the result of anyone actually swinging this way at riseballs during in-game swings.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Plus Ehren doesn't mention rise balls anywhere in his video, plus last I saw a riseball doesn't go up and just doesn't fall as fast as a fastball per video! Bustos was the best riseball hitter in elite fastpitch and you have posted the video of her hitting a riseball for a HR. She teaches start you hands higher for a riseball and teaches this same method in her camps but she calls it the big zone. You do have a good point FFS, the MLB swing that someone on another site posted doesn't have to about the riseball and that is a big difference between baseball and softball. Funny how later on FFS wants now to talk about John and his video, You talk about making things up!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish