video cameras

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010

For the past year I have been looking at video analysis software, however, I am now thinking that maybe I should get a high definition video camera after reading some of the threads posted. Can anyone steer me in the direction of a good camera that would be well-suited to analize pitching and batting? Or does anyone have an opinion about the camera vs. the software?

Thanks,
Jeff

Feb 18, 2010
I use a Sanyo Xacti CG10 (link below) and Quicktime to view on my comp. The camera records in 30 or 60 fps and saves files as mp4 files which you can view frame by frame with Quicktime using the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard.

Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10

Jul 11, 2009
I ditto the use of quicktime. Works great to go frame by frame. Don't much matter which camera you use as long as it takes decent video. Not sure but I believe most video in 30fps (actually 29.97) as that is the standard from what I hear, although 60 fps would probably be better for analysis purposes.

Feb 18, 2010
I ditto the use of quicktime. Works great to go frame by frame. Don't much matter which camera you use as long as it takes decent video. Not sure but I believe most video in 30fps (actually 29.97) as that is the standard from what I hear, although 60 fps would probably be better for analysis purposes.

60fps is good, but frame by frame review of it is painstakingly useless IMO. If you slow something done enough and analyze it to death you can interpret anything you want from it. I usually use 30fps and I think it does a great job. Others are excessive in what they do though, so to each his own.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Check out the pitching forum. There's some discussion about the Flip video and the Kodak Zi8. The Kodak is HD and does 60 fps. They also have a sports version coming out, reportedly. I don't own either, but I hear they're good.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I use the Casio EX-F1. Films at 30, 60, 300, 600, 1200 fps. I rarely use anything other than 30 for analysis because anything more really isn't needed. The 300 fps is fun, especially if you have never see high speed like that before. The 60 fps is in HD, which is great for recruiting videos if that is something you might need to do down the road.

Jul 28, 2008
I use the Casio EX-F1. Films at 30, 60, 300, 600, 1200 fps. I rarely use anything other than 30 for analysis because anything more really isn't needed. The 300 fps is fun, especially if you have never see high speed like that before. The 60 fps is in HD, which is great for recruiting videos if that is something you might need to do down the road.

Tewks,

I have one of these also very nice IMO!! How is your swing coming along?

Lil'E VIP

Jul 11, 2009
quicktime is a computer program so you would have to record, then open with quicktime after loading to your computer. We did get my daughter a GE digital camera for Christmas and she discovered that you can video something on it and play it back frame by frame. Pretty cool to be able to video and immediately review without having to put on computer.

Feb 18, 2010
the ones that are using quicktime, can u view the video's live and record at the same time or do u have to record them and then go back and look at them

In order to view on your comp using Quicktime you would have to record them and then go back and look at them.

What I do is record in short clips, say one or two swings, then stop recording and start again. This is the poor man's way of cutting down on video editing. If I happen to be filming at a game the clip will be an entire AB which I save to the comp and then edit to the swing that makes contact by using some type of free editing software such as VirtualDubMod or Windows Live Movie Maker. I can then convert that file to any other type of video file including animated GIFs which can be posted in threads as images that move by using a free program called Super Converter. Now while all of this seems like a lengthy process it really only takes about five to ten minutes after you get used to using the software. Again all of this is the poor man's way of doing things. Other paid software exists including a full version of Quicktime, but I have yet to go down that road.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG