Best place to video from?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
We're going to start videoing our games, because right now we suck (16B, batting .215 as a team, 45 errors in 11 games) and we're looking for anything we can do to help the girls improve. We thought by taping the games, then having a team review session with all of them, the girls could better see what they are doing, what they aren't doing, congratulate each other and hold each other accountable. Used to work for us in football, so we think it might work here. Something's gotta.

Because DD is a pitcher, I've only ever videoed her from behind the plate. But that doesn't give a great view of batters or the defense.

We've got two Go-Pros and fence attach equipment. Anyone have advice on where the cameras should be?

Also, has anyone ever tried giving each girl a clip camera? That way they could replay the game from their perspective. I don't know if that would help, either, but it's going to be a long season if things don't get better.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
For a 2 camera setup, I like one behind the plate for the whole view. Then a second from a dugout across the field. But I will say, a multiple camera setup is a lot more work, especially if you are wanting players to watch. Your turnaround time will be critical for them to relate/remember the situation. For me, the fastest way to get players and family video, is the single shot from behind the plate. No edits and copy to a sharable external hard drive. Those interested can pass the drive around and return before anyone gets more video.

Feb 20, 2020
Josh, I'm using a pair of GoPros. Have you found you get enough out the behind-the-plate cam to see the outfied? And then the other one I thought I'd just leave on the batters. We're all righties, so i could just go to the right side of the backstop and put it there.

But the other thing I really am wondering about are the cheap body clip cams. It might be interesting at least for pitchers and catchers to see plays from the other's perspective. Or even for batters. I wonder if it would be a uniform violation. They don't allow jewelry, but ...

May 18, 2019
For a 2 camera setup, I like one behind the plate for the whole view. Then a second from a dugout across the field. But I will say, a multiple camera setup is a lot more work, especially if you are wanting players to watch. Your turnaround time will be critical for them to relate/remember the situation. For me, the fastest way to get players and family video, is the single shot from behind the plate. No edits and copy to a sharable external hard drive. Those interested can pass the drive around and return before anyone gets more video.
I've had good luck uploading to YouTube and sharing an unlisted link with the team. I now have crazy fast broadband but can usually get a good quality 2.7k/60 or 120fps video up same day with about 10 minutes of video editing in Microsoft's built in video application to trim the beginning and end, add a title slide, insert the box score... A few glitches here and there, especially making sure I have one drive syncing off so I don't get double the bandwidth consumption but it works pretty well.

Feb 20, 2020
I think I'll have a day to put it together, because the current plan is to make Monday movie night -- team bonding and watching the games with pizza or popcorn. I know this team well enough to know the girls won't do it on their own, and they need to have the mistakes pointed out. We think we can do it at someone's house and have it be done in an hour or so. Or at least that's the current thinking

Oh, and to answer my own question, USA softball prohibits electronic devices. But nothing stops us from doing it in practice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee