Vid of 11 y.o - please help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2010
Sorry for the youtube, didn't know another way.

Can't hit off a machine to save her life. Barrel always seems about 3 inches below ball. Can't seem to get on plane. Balls leave machine at 42-44" above the floor. ( Make for one short armed pitcher to my way of thinking but I'm probably just grasping at straws ;) )

Prefers live pitching, any speed. She's a pitcher.

She measures off and grips using HC's method.

In video, 2nd swing was "hard as she could" - she looks just like that in the cage or by the end of team batting practice. Not very good at back toss either. Always seems to try and stand up at contact.

Suggestions? And thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_8H86Ex8e0

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just got it fixed. Thanks

sewyly.jpg

Apr 13, 2010
I'm trying to learn so I'm no expert but the one thing I noticed is that she is leaning back on her back foot at contact. If you watch the model swings in the model swings thread you'll get a pretty good idea of what the swing should look like. I think as the bat is starting to move she needs to start transferring more and more weight to her front foot.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Learn to throw first. Then equate it to hitting. Read one of hitters-howards posts on throwing. She needs to learn how to tansfer her weight first before learning to hit.As EP Dad is getting at, her weight transfer is terrible.

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I'm trying to learn so I'm no expert but the one thing I noticed is that she is leaning back on her back foot at contact. If you watch the model swings in the model swings thread you'll get a pretty good idea of what the swing should look like. I think as the bat is starting to move she needs to start transferring more and more weight to her front foot.

Before you change anything please try this....simply put a concrete block on the outside edge of her back foot so she can not squish the bug and see what happens after about 10 swings.

She is also stepping open...use a 4 x 4 and or another concrete block and it should self correct in no time.

After fixing that start the hands close to the back of the head and think slow to load and soft to step and separate at toe toe as for me the hands are back to far so it negates the feeling of momentum in my opinion.

I start from the ground up.

Thanks Howard

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Personally ... I'd like to see what this girl looked like if she was introduced to a cleaner hand path. She may turn out to be doing a lot correct already ... but the level shoulders approach, and potentially the mental mindset of a level swing, seems to be holding this girl back. At least that was my first thought.

Oct 12, 2009
Sorry for the youtube, didn't know another way.

Can't hit off a machine to save her life. Barrel always seems about 3 inches below ball. Can't seem to get on plane. Balls leave machine at 42-44" above the floor. ( Make for one short armed pitcher to my way of thinking but I'm probably just grasping at straws ;) )

Prefers live pitching, any speed. She's a pitcher.

This is a standard, arm-y swing with bat drag and dropping the hands.

This can result from cues like, "swing level," among other things.

She needs to learn about posture and how to adjust with her body and not her arms.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez