verbal commitment restrictions??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 1, 2013
Ohio
My daughter emails back the schools that still send her stuff, even after signing the NLI. She thanks them for their interest and informs them she is signed. Some thank her and some never respond

Feb 14, 2010
Also remember that written contract (NLI) is a 1 year deal. Future years are not guaranteed.

You bring up a great point here. One of the questions I asked my DD future HC was, Do you guarantee this offer for 4 years? Her answer was, once I offer a kid, that offer is for 4 years UNLESS they become a knothead off the field, not keeping up with their studies or getting into trouble off it. I posted in another thread that IMO the best thing you can do is ask tough questions and see what their answers are, no it doesnt mean they won't give you coach speak to pacify you but at least you will know you did right by your daughter if they go against what they told you.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A note that says "Hi, Thank you for your invite. I recent verballed to _______. I just wanted to let you know." would be nice.

Dec 7, 2011
You bring up a great point here. One of the questions I asked my DD future HC was, Do you guarantee this offer for 4 years? Her answer was, once I offer a kid, that offer is for 4 years UNLESS they become a knothead off the field, not keeping up with their studies or getting into trouble off it. I posted in another thread that IMO the best thing you can do is ask tough questions and see what their answers are, no it doesnt mean they won't give you coach speak to pacify you but at least you will know you did right by your daughter if they go against what they told you.

Wow - Way to go Crankermo for bringing this out there to your coach onto the table. Honestly, even though I would LOVE to know the truth, I did not/would not bring this question up thinking I would get laughed at. But maybe that's just a bad assumption on my part. Maybe there is more dedication towards players by schools out there than I have assumed (based on things I have heard of that sound like - "players are as good as that day they play....")

Jan 31, 2011

What happens if HC that recruited your DD takes another job??? All bets are off.

Feb 14, 2010
What happens if HC that recruited your DD takes another job??? All bets are off.

BB,

Great question. I asked the entire staff how long they each planned on being there and what would it take for them to leave. They all gave frank answers and the HC just signed a 5 year extension. I've had friends that this happened to and to go through the recruiting process again would be a nightmare but that's why you ask tough questions. Nothing is guaranteed but I sleep easy knowing I did right by my DD and asked everything possible.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2010
Rubber,

There's no need to be afraid of asking questions to what concerns you. It's your DD future and if the coach get's upset about it chances are you've got all the information you need to see if your DD will be taken care of.

Mar 26, 2013
Also remember that written contract (NLI) is a 1 year deal. Future years are not guaranteed.
Not necessarily only a 1-year deal any more. This is the 2nd year players can sign multi-year deals.

15.3.3.1 Period of Award. If a student’s athletics ability is considered in any degree in awarding financial aid, such aid shall neither be awarded for a period less than one academic year nor for a period that would exceed the student’s five-year period of eligibility (see Bylaws 14.2 and 15.01.5). One year grants-in-aid shall be awarded (as set forth in the written statement per Bylaw 15.3.2.3) in equal amounts for each term of the academic year. (Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06, 10/27/11 effective 8/1/12; awards may be executed before 8/1/12)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Most coaches have some type of "Recruitment Board" where they have their recruits ranked for the upcoming NLI. That denotes positions as well. I know of a couple who even color code those recruits per monies promised. (No the amount isn't listed for anyone to read.) Then, there are the players who have verballed from younger classes. Then, typically, there is the "hope list" of prospects that they are working on. I'd be careful anytime after a verbal unless I know that my child is at the top of that list. BTW, when my dd was getting recruited, she went in to one school on an official visit with 3 other players. She saw exactly where she and the other girls were on that list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi