verbal commitment restrictions??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2010
My friend's daughter verbally committed as a junior to a DII school.
She was told by a third party (not the school) that she can no longer have any contact with any
other potential college softball coaches. They cannot contact her nor she contact them.
He was adamant that its a written rule although he couldn't produce it.
I know this is not the case but am hoping to show him in writing.

Dec 20, 2012
It is exactly what it says it is, a verbal commitment. It has no legal backing. The prospective student athlete can still talk to ANY school, coach,.... Now if they are serious about attending the school they are verbally committed to, then it may not be a smart move to talk to other schools. They could withdraw their offer at any time. Once they sign their NLI then it is a contract.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
It is not a written rule. Verbals aren't even covered by the NCAA, because they don't recognize them. This is why we are seeing 8th graders verbal. On the football side, colleges will still try and recruit a blue chip athlete even after he's verballed. They are a bit more cut-throat, whereas the softball side the coaches honor the verbals. It will be fun when that ceases being the case.

Nov 18, 2013
DD is verballed and I just received an invite to another schools camp by a coach who's fully aware of her verbal.

It is not a written rule. Verbals aren't even covered by the NCAA, because they don't recognize them. This is why we are seeing 8th graders verbal. On the football side, colleges will still try and recruit a blue chip athlete even after he's verballed. They are a bit more cut-throat, whereas the softball side the coaches honor the verbals. It will be fun when that ceases being the case.

Feb 14, 2010
There used to be an unwritten rule amongst sofball coaches that once a kid had verballed they are no longer recruitable but as MNDad has posted that's no longer the case. MY DD verballed last year as a sophomore to a B1G school as shes still being recruited despite being 100% committed to her school

Jan 31, 2011
Also remember that written contract (NLI) is a 1 year deal. Future years are not guaranteed.

Dec 7, 2011
DD is verballed and I just received an invite to another schools camp by a coach who's fully aware of her verbal.

Be careful with this - coaches can get very cranky finding out that their recruit is still "shopping". It's amazing how small the softball coaches communities can be. Be very careful unless ya really don't care,....but then why verbal in the first place....

Nov 18, 2013
Not shopping and definitely not attending another school's camp. I wasn't sure if I should inform the school she verballed with or just blow it off.

Be careful with this - coaches can get very cranky finding out that their recruit is still "shopping". It's amazing how small the softball coaches communities can be. Be very careful unless ya really don't care,....but then why verbal in the first place....

Dec 7, 2011
Not shopping and definitely not attending another school's camp. I wasn't sure if I should inform the school she verballed with or just blow it off.

I would recommend having your DD do the notification to the other coach. My DD had a lot of nice conversations where she told a hunting coach up front she was verballed and I think ALL of them ended really well with a "If anything ever changes with your status please give me a call". It's nice to land this way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi