Timing of verbal commitment and formal offer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2012
DD's first choice was a D2 school that specialized in the program she wished to study. After attending a camp in January of her junior year the coach offered her a verbal commitment. At that point he told her that it wouldn't be a full ride -which we didn't expect, but no specific amount was discussed. She had several more camps and visits planned and told him she was very interested but wanted to be sure before committing.
In March after visiting three other schools she called the coach back and told him that she was sure and her said great we will put you on the committed list but again no actual percentages or dollar amounts were discussed.
DD has very good marks and a high SAT score and qualifies for about a 50% academic scholarship.
We are heading back to the school in a couple weeks to practice with the team and meet the coach and DD has asked if they can discuss a formal offer and he has said they can.
I am wondering now if we made a mistake early on not trying to more clearly define what exactly the coach was committing to. He has a good reputation amongst the players from our area who have gone before but just somehow felt there should have been a little clearer understanding on what it was we were agreeing to. We are financially able to manage not getting athletic money but the team carries a pretty large roster and a little afraid the dream school offer might be a little less than what we thought initially.
Did we make a mistake not demanding more details before verballing ?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Did we make a mistake not demanding more details before verballing ?

Probably. Maybe. Guess you are going to find out.

Coach should have been willing to give a probable range they can offer so you can figure out where your out of pocket is going to end up. But you didn't press by the sounds of it so too late now. That you 'verballed' which means absolutely nothing in real terms without details is not ideal.

Hopefully it all works out or you will be back into recruiting - which is fine. Just annoying.

Feb 18, 2014
A D2 has 7.5 scholarships I think? I think that's what we were told. So that has to be spread among all it's recipients. I can see how that would be tough to give an estimate when you are still deciding on who you will recruit.

Jul 16, 2018
Purely IMO - its her dream school and she's being offered. l wouldnt really put to much thought into anything else. Certainly understand wanting to save money out of pocket though.

But for anyone else who might be in a similar situation - I would definitely talk specifics before committing. Not a full ride could be mean 75% of one or could mean "We covered your pens for class"

It is so unfair that athletes have to be put in these financial situations. By playing for the college they basically forfeit any chance of working their way through college. They are working for the college yet with 7.2 scholarships per D2 team it’s just not enough. It’s not just softball take any sport even football where they are definitely making profits from games. The weaker players that are still college caliber players put in the same time and work as full paid top players yet get nothing financially for there work and not to mention the strain on their academic work by putting in all the time. The scholarship system is broken and needs to be corrected.

Aug 19, 2012
Thanks for the responses.
My take is quite different than yours Laphoneman. The experience of playing ball at this level is what my DD wants. She is not playing ball and putting in the work required for a financial gain, it's because she genuinely loves to play and this is an opportunity of playing 4 years at the highest level her ability will allow. It's great that she is getting some additional funding help because of her athletic ability but if there were zero scholarships offered for athletics she would still choose to play.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
IMO, you are justified in placing a phone call to the coach to ask what the amount will be. I'd tell the coach you need to know in order to plan your finances. My dd received a very good offer at a D-II. I'd be lying if I said that others on the team had good offers. The range was drastic.

Feb 3, 2011
It sounds like congratulations are in order!! Thankfully, you're not in a position where her attending and being able to play at her dream school would create a severe financial hardship for the family. The fact that she's earned a roster spot and academic money for the school means that her hard work has paid off. I suppose an amount of buyer's remorse is normal for some people in any situation (I'm one of those people), but don't beat yourself up - you guys have done extremely well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K