DIII recruitment-can a player tell the coach she wants to commit to the team before being officially offered.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
When was that? The staff at WashU and my DD were pretty tight as well. We were also well down that path. Financially, it was just too big of a bite considering the career path she wanted so she took another option.
Years 2015-2016 or so. It was a blur. The $$$ thing of course was a major factor deterring further consideration.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In May 2020 (at the end of DD's sophomore year) DD's batting coach told DD she would be a great fit for the program the BC just graduated from and encouraged DD to contact the HC. The HC responded to DD immediately and has been in regular contact since. In the fall the BC had told DD that the HC is going to off her a spot on the roster. DD has not been able to make any type of coordinated visit to the campus with the HC because of COVID restrictions, but we took her there any way just to see the campus. She loved it. Even more important, the school has an academic program that really appeals to DD.

A few weeks ago the HC emailed DD that she would like to schedule an unofficial and official campus visit. DD replied that she could make an official visit in June. We were hoping DD would be officially offered the spot on the roster now, so she doesn't have to stress through the summer. The HC replied that she wanted DD to make an unofficial visit in June, and the official visit in the fall when she could meet the team.

Would it be acceptable to directly tell the HC that DD wants to be on the team, and if so, what would be the best way to tell the HC?

It's DIII - if you want to attend the school - and that is what you care about most - you can always tell the coach "I am coming here whatever happens, would love to be on the team."

You have to realize DIII coaches lose kids ALL the time that say they are coming. Someone offers them partial scholarship in D1/D2/NAIA or JUCO or even academic money someplace, parents start to realize what the bill is going to look like, kid wants to stay close to home, goal change, etc, etc. If you can play, they would love to have you, but they know that until you have completed your junior year, it is more likely they are going to lose you than have you. They want to make sure you REALLY want to come - and visits obviously help with that.,

Dec 6, 2019
This may work for anything other than D3. The coaches cannot decide how much money to give a PSA. That's up to their FAFSA form and Admissions. The coach may be aware of some random institutional scholarships that are available, but they aren't giving it out. If anyone has a had any other experiences, please share. That's what we are here for.

IMO, the D3 PSA has more leverage than the D1 PSA's at most schools. Most D3 coaches are pretty much greatful if they can get an awesome player. I think I will start another thread topic on differences in D3 softball programs.
My daughter didn't commit to her D3 until we negotiated an increase in her financial aid package. The first thing the financial aid director said when we had a call to discuss our financial aid appeal was something along the lines of "I understand [your daughter] is a very good softball player."

We did get an increase from that call. This probably sounds shadier than I intend. I'm not going to say the increase was athletics related. There's no proof of that. We gave other reasons why we thought the package should be increased. But they were definitely aware she was a PSA in that process.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My daughter didn't commit to her D3 until we negotiated an increase in her financial aid package. The first thing the financial aid director said when we had a call to discuss our financial aid appeal was something along the lines of "I understand [your daughter] is a very good softball player."

We did get an increase from that call. This probably sounds shadier than I intend. I'm not going to say the increase was athletics related. There's no proof of that. We gave other reasons why we thought the package should be increased. But they were definitely aware she was a PSA in that process.
That negotiation happens with the Finacanical aid advisor/director which can be done with NARPs too. And more likely with private institutions as well. DD goes to a state D3 school. Unfortunately, there is no negotiations with them, but then again it's in-state tuition.

May 21, 2015
South
My daughter attended a high academic D3. During the recruiting process, she was told that the coach had 3 options: 1. If you get into the school I have a roster spot for you; 2. The coach could let admissions know that she wanted the player and hoped it would sway admissions but no guarantee. 3. She had a very limited number of "golden Tickets" where a player would be admitted with academics that were below the standard of the school. The money part is a lot more complicated. I know some girls on our team were getting money from somewhere other than academic scholarships. Maybe need based financial aid, student loans, or maybe scholarships that the coach had in her back pocket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802