Timing of verbal commitment and formal offer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks for the responses.
My take is quite different than yours Laphoneman. The experience of playing ball at this level is what my DD wants. She is not playing ball and putting in the work required for a financial gain, it's because she genuinely loves to play and this is an opportunity of playing 4 years at the highest level her ability will allow. It's great that she is getting some additional funding help because of her athletic ability but if there were zero scholarships offered for athletics she would still choose to play.
Well definitely don't lead with this ;) ... You are exactly the kind of recruit the coach wants, willing to play for nothing but already getting 50% for academics. In the end congrats....the other 50% would be great but even if it's just 25% or 33% that still a great deal.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
Well definitely don't lead with this ;) ... You are exactly the kind of recruit the coach wants, willing to play for nothing but already getting 50% for academics. In the end congrats....the other 50% would be great but even if it's just 25% or 33% that still a great deal.

This is exactly right. Ask the coach what the offer is, they are not going to be offended. This is just part of the un-official visit, they offer, usually a percentage and break it down for you what it covers, i.e. tuition, books, anything else like meals/boarding, etc. In our experience, we knew when we left exactly what the offer was and the amount of $$ it would pertain to at the current admission rates. We also discussed what that amount would look like from year to year if she performs at a certain level.

Bottom line, don't be afraid to ask questions. Have them prepared before you go. It's ok as the parent to be driving these talks, not the kid. If the offer is not good enough for you, ask them what can be done for a better offer. The reality is, you only have one shot at this. Make it count.

And Riseball is also right. It's just a verbal until you get the NLI and that will spell out the Financial aid they are offering, but it should match what was negotiated between you and the coach.

Hope this helps.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
mta

My daughter was offered by 2 programs after she verballed with UTC. One offer was a better offer and pretty hard to turn down, but she stuck with her verbal and is glad (so far) that she did. I guess i'm trying to add, is sometimes the door is not closed even though you "verbally committed" to them. Good luck and wishing you and your daughter the best.

Aug 19, 2012
The one question I've had is if a D2 school has 7.2 scholarships, what constitutes a scholarship? Does that include only tuition, what about books, residence etc. What program is the base if using tuition as there can be a fair variation between different faculties within the same school?
If average tuition is $25,000 and residence another $10,000 and books $1500, is it 7.2 times $36,500 or 7.2 times $25,000?
Makes quite a bit of difference in figuring out what is available.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The one question I've had is if a D2 school has 7.2 scholarships, what constitutes a scholarship? Does that include only tuition, what about books, residence etc. What program is the base if using tuition as there can be a fair variation between different faculties within the same school?
If average tuition is $25,000 and residence another $10,000 and books $1500, is it 7.2 times $36,500 or 7.2 times $25,000?
Makes quite a bit of difference in figuring out what is available.

The school is permitted by the NCAA to provide a set amount of scholarships. The school can then set policies with regard to amounts including in state vs out of state. So it will vary from school to school. Coaches can provide any portion of a scholarship. When my DD was at SC she signed for a 72% scholarship in terms of cost that included out of state tuition but did not include housing. A couple weeks in a player left the team who had housing and the coach gave it to my DD to bring her to a full scholarship and then some. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2