Velocity vs accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Mercado Athletics
Beverly Bandits
Virginia Unity
All have pitchers 67+

Just noting where some high velocity can be watched.

May 18, 2019
Mercado Athletics
Beverly Bandits
Virginia Unity
All have pitchers 67+

Just noting where high velocity can be watched.
You are talking like top 1% or 0.1%. That's where we differ. No pitcher (generally) makes D1 and plays without spots, mixing, spin no matter how fast to the other point. 63 I'm talking about was a sophomore last, this yr junior with great mixing, location, movement, rise. My daughter is one of the faster around at her age group but speed is only one tool. She told me today she thinks being called a power pitcher is an insult... Proudest moment of my day.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You are talking like top 1% or 0.1%. That's where we differ. No pitcher (generally) makes D1 and plays without spots, mixing, spin no matter how fast to the other point. 63 I'm talking about was a sophomore last, this yr junior with great mixing, location, movement, rise. My daughter is one of the faster around at her age group but speed is only one tool. She told me today she thinks being called a power pitcher is an insult... Proudest moment of my day.
Good story!

I threw the percentage question up for anyone who wanted to comment wasn't defining it though.
( within each age bracket there is a percentage)

Exactly! Pretty much every D1 pitcher is going to have to use location, Spin and mixing of speeds!

*What I've been commenting throughout this entire post
* velocity alone is not enough.

Highest of velocity is a bonus factor,
But that alone doesn't defeat batters at the College World Series.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Just texted my friend who charts pitchers in NorCal and he did comment there's pitchers throwing 63 right now that are either freshmen or sophomores. Probably he has charted your daughter's pitches( you may know of who he is. He's pretty intense about it.)

Think the pitcher I commented that's throwing 67 right now for Mercado Athletics is the pitcher while she was still in 12u was throwing 61 and 62.
(13yr old last summer of 12u)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019
The more important questions are (1) is she having fun, (2) is she pitching enough innings and (3) is she having success.

Oh boy.

Question: Why do 25YOA MLB pitchers, who have all the time, money and coaches in the world have *at most* two breaking pitches while a bunch of 10 year olds have six?

Answer: The 10 year olds don't. It is all BS. It just a bunch of Daddies sitting around trying to impress each other.

Developing a good pitcher is about incremental improvements in speed and control over a period of years.
Amen

May 18, 2019
Just texted my friend who charts pitchers in NorCal and he did comment there's pitchers throwing 63 right now that are either freshmen or sophomores. Probably he has charted your daughter's pitches( you may know of who he is. He's pretty intense about it.)

Think the pitcher I commented that's throwing 67 right now for Mercado Athletics is the pitcher while she was still in 12u was throwing 61 and 62.
(13yr old last summer of 12u)
Mine is still 14s but he may see her soon. Freshman this year. Few mph from 63 yet but possibly by summer. We take progress on any dimension with speed just 1.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Mercado Athletics
Beverly Bandits
Virginia Unity
All have pitchers 67+

QUOTE="RADcatcher, post: 676465, member: 18967"]
Mercado Athletics
Beverly Bandits
Virginia Unity
All have pitchers 67+

Mercado Athletics
Beverly Bandits
Virginia Unity
All have pitchers 67+

I've only seen one of those teams play this summer and didn't see 67, but I'll have to take your word for it.

How many top D1 pitchers cruise at 67+? Would you say it's less than 15-20 across all of college softball?

May 13, 2021
Where my DD takes lessons the fastest girls per age group is 10u=50 12u= 56 14u=64 16=62 18u=65. This is speeds taken at lessons pitching off the rubber not walk through. So I would assume normal game speeds for them would be a couple mph slower.

Aug 5, 2022
Our 16u team has 2 pitchers that have PRs at north of 65 but in games I’d say they both cruised in the 62-64 range because they rarely throw just a straight fastball and they move the ball better at those speeds. If you don’t move the ball well or you get squeezed and have to put it over the plate 62-64 is going yard….it’s happened to us and we’ve done it to other teams. Even the best pitchers have off days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12