Velocity vs accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
My DD that is a 2012 and been in lessons about a year is consistent in the mid 40's. High 40's on good day. She is accurate and knows how to pitch with placement even if a coach isn't calling the pitches. My question is which is better. Placement at 45-47 or slinging it 50? She uses a fastball and change up which is good and mixes in a curveball here and there. Curveball isn't that consistent so it only comes out when she is ahead. My question is at 10 years old which is more important? Velocity or accuracy? She could throw faster I'm sure but with less accuracy. She has really been doing good lately. My question is should I keep pushing accuracy over Velocity? The different pitches are working their way in.
mechanics at 10. If she can locate the velocity will take care of itself as she grows and gets stronger. The last thing she needs is to think she can't pitch because she not hitting a certain number.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How many top D1 pitchers cruise at 67+? Would you say it's less than 15-20 across all of college softball?
Good question!
With all the different college teams a guess would be far from accurate 🤷‍♀️

From feedback of student catchers/hitters who go off to college, know that 65 mph is common and catchers playing D1 report they are catching pitchers throwing above that.
ALL recognize the importance of mixing speeds and accuracy of location.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Taking the perspective from being in the batter's box.

IF playing teams where velocity is the element that needs to be conquered training for it can happen. And it does.
If pitchers threw one speed all the time
timing would just be timing
*without batter having to make adjustments.

As a hitter, Learning to make adjustments to multiple locations can be difficult.
Not all batters are good at making adjustments to varying locations.
(Both from swing mechanics and physical requirement to adjust)
Which may be considered a more difficult task for hitters to adjust to
*because there are more locations to have to learn to make adjustments to,
in out up down
rather than just high velocity.

Visual Acuity and recognizing pitch location along with speed's is a combination skill set.
Much more difficult when mixed!!!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
3b99e4005f629045899cc438d6a28a3c.jpg

Just for reference, this comes from Rapsodo which I consider a pretty good source as they aggregate data from all over. It’s probably even skewed a little on the high side, as your typical below-average pitcher would rarely find themselves being measured by a Rapsodo machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2022
Just for reference, this comes from Rapsodo which I consider a pretty good source as they aggregate data from all over. It’s probably even skewed a little on the high side, as your typical below-average pitcher would rarely find themselves being measured by a Rapsodo machine.

Does this measure velocity out of the hand or at the plate.

Mar 10, 2020
3b99e4005f629045899cc438d6a28a3c.jpg

Skewed toward lower end #'s.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
* and there are pitchers known to throw faster than the high-end averages on this chart even at young ages like previously discussed at 13 years old throwing 61 mph
And @uncdrew dd throwing 56 at 12yrs.

Screenshot_20220912-185242_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220912-185249_Chrome.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1