Varsity is a good thing, right??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
So DD made Varsity at her high school despite being only a freshman. While she is a good player, I think its honest to say that her placement is more a reflection of the current state of the program. In fact, I do not think there were ANY cuts at all to fill out the Varsity and JV team since only about 25 total girls tried out. But this is a good thing right?? She may not play full time on the varsity team, but the quality of practices and skill levels of teammates is more than enough to make up for a few innings on the bench throughout the season....right??

As long as it is only a few innings, if she spends over half her time on the bench versus playing every inning of JV maybe not, although you made it sounds like she would definitely play most of the time in which case...varsity is good news

Does she pitch or position play? For a pitcher this would go double.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sorry, just add me to your ignore list.

I didn’t think DD would make her MS Team, she was the opening day starting pitcher and leadoff hitter. It was all about the quality of the players, not her abilities.

IDK, go with the flow. Some of the schools you are going to play she will be comfortable playing against, other schools you are going to get whipped out against. She just needs to keep her chin up.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
It is always better, because at the varsity level practice and play is tougher and that always makes you a better player. DD made it as the only freshman she had fun but had to take heat from the older kids, so let you dd know what to expect. High School has politics that you have to deal with. Sometimes kids and parents can be cruel.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We carry 20 total on the team. ( Jv and V ) For the most part we practice both at the same time which allows Jv to hit off V pitchers, Jv catchers to catch V pitchers, Jv to field off V hitters and runners, etc etc. This gives them experience playing/practicing with players of a better level. This also ensures "backups" if injuries happen on V.

Some parents can't grasp the idea, but today's JV is tomorrow's Varsity.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It depends on your HS. If my freshman DD was going to sit the bench over 50% of the time, I want her on JV. If the older girls accept her and are nice (which isn't always the way), she will be OK.

Oct 10, 2011
We have 2 fields so the JV doesn't practice with varsity. We are hoping for Varsity even if it's just to be surrounded by better players during practice, plus the coaches are head and shoulders above the JV coaches. We've heard though that some of the older girls aren't very friendly towards the new girls like Amy pointed out.

Sep 17, 2009
Sounds like a smaller school, in which case (honestly) it's typically a bit easier to make varsity and the JV team is typically facing not great competition. She'll do better all-around on varsity -- this year and in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole