Using a Heavy Bag for working on hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2009
You have your hitter set up then place a ball on the tee. The object is to have the hitter start the swing at full speed and just before contact try to STOP the bat. Most will tap the ball off the tee trying this drill for the first time.

Dana, The problem with that is if the girl knows she is going to stop at the tee, she will not have the same form as when she is trying to drive through the ball as with a bag.
My daughter has never actually hit a bag, her coach had her hit a pole at indoor practice that had the big thick pad on it. I have to tell you, I was very impressed at the way it freezes their form, almost like you took a picture right at contact.
Also, they do this very seldom and it is only a few swings, just to see if they can spot any problems withy the swing.
Obviously a very controversial subject:rolleyes:
Play Sunday Softball

May 12, 2008
Dana, The problem with that is if the girl knows she is going to stop at the tee, she will not have the same form as when she is trying to drive through the ball as with a bag.

If it didn't encourage changes there wouldn't be a point to doing it. You ask an arm swinger or a hitter with any form of disconnection to do this they will struggle. It's really an excellent check.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
When I use the stop swing with my daughter I have her do a slow motion or half speed swing until just before contact (using a tee). I think this works as well as full speed and it lets her "feel" her body better as she's swinging.

May 7, 2008
DFW
FJ

Thats not a bad way to start out with the stop swing. As you go further into the drill tell her to speed up a little with each swing in increments until she is at full speed. You get the best of both feel and form doing it in that manner. As she goes along you should see and she will feel her form get better and better.

Dana.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Play Sunday

Dont disagree with anything you said in your post. See my post above to FJ on how I approach using the stop swing drill. Sometimes you have to be creative as a coach to get the player to do what you want them to do and help them accomplish their goals. Without telling them until they get it right. :D

Oct 25, 2009
I've used the punching bag for years. Never an injury. If correct technique is used there is no shock to the wrist, arms, elbows, etc.

My bag is suspended with a swivel chain so it swings fairly easily. When contact is made at the correct contact point in a palm up/palm down position the impact is solid and there is no trampoline effect. I use a contact-and-stick method. For an additional effect I sometimes have them push the bag after the contact-and-stick.

When their swings are correct I have them try to drive the bag a few inches upon impact. Also, the number of swings should be whatever you need them to be for whatever you're working on. 25-swing sets, for example, aren't out of the question at all.

This is just one tool; unless used exclusive of other drills it should not cause negatives.

Oct 25, 2009
I was with ya' right up to the push comment. Why do you want them to push it after contact?

I do that at times, i.e., when I'm talking to them about reciprocal use of the bottom hand/top hand. Also to get them to feel the drive that the hips and arms can generate. It shows that a lot of weight can be moved with very little effort. This would not be a push that affects balance; in the swing it is more subtle, but the bag can be moved 4 or 5 inches from a dead stop with very little effort. A good wrist exercise if nothing else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish