Update June 6 on 16u learning how to bat .

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2020
Hey everyone . I have started doing physical therapy along with my normal practice . Today I went to the batting cages and did a little catching and batting . It was my first time at a batting cage . Batting pitch speed was 50+MPH. The videos aren't the best but just thought I'd share . I think it went pretty well.
Video :

Aug 3, 2019
Hannah,

I must say that I am inspired by watching your progress. Considering that you never played softball before, the fact that you are making some decent contact off 50+ mile an hour pitching is pretty incredible.

It looks like you have some natural power and your swing is improved from the original video of you hitting off of the tee.

I can tell you are working very hard and will be rooting for you.

Good luck!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Next time, think about powering the swing with rotation of your body, rather than your arms.

Also, bring your hands down to shoulder level in your setup. Having them as high as you do gains nothing, and adds unnecessary length to the swing.

Keep up the good work, Hannah! :)

Feb 25, 2020
Hey everyone . I have started doing physical therapy along with my normal practice . Today I went to the batting cages and did a little catching and batting . It was my first time at a batting cage . Batting pitch speed was 50+MPH. The videos aren't the best but just thought I'd share . I think it went pretty well.
Video :

Hannah,

Looks like the work is paying off! Looks really really good.

As you keep working try to develop a consistent mindset at the plate. There is another thread somewhere on here where coaches share what mindset they want their players to go to the plate with. If you haven't read it I would go check it out.

This video represents my thoughts on that subject! You can tell what the intentions are pretty clearly. I would say try and hit it hard every time! Keep working hard!

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Next time, think about powering the swing with rotation of your body, rather than your arms.

Also, bring your hands down to shoulder level in your setup. Having them as high as you do gains nothing, and adds unnecessary length to the swing.

Keep up the good work, Hannah! :)
Hmmmm...rotate the middle, huh? Nice.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hmmmm...rotate the middle, huh? Nice.

With players just getting started, and getting familiar with how their body moves, I've found that keeping the language simple is the most helpful. This particular piece of guidance is about getting away from the arms swinging around the torso as the primary power source.

For a player who has been immersed in hitting instruction for many years, and is familiar with different approaches and feels, getting more detailed about the little differences makes sense. For a new hitter, you'll lose them in the details very quickly. Work with big blocks first, and refine in increasingly smaller pieces.

May 3, 2014
With players just getting started, and getting familiar with how their body moves, I've found that keeping the language simple is the most helpful. This particular piece of guidance is about getting away from the arms swinging around the torso as the primary power source.
Good advice. Moving the way to the body wants to move naturally is never wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad