16u beginner learning to bat update .

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2020
Hey . Sorry I haven't really updated . I haven't been taking videos . Here is one from today though . I have started taking lessons with a coach . I no longer let go with one of my hands . I keep both hands on the bat all the way through . Anyway let me know if you see anything I should work on . Any advice or opinion is appreciated.

Update:
2nd lesson went well . The coach asked my birth year so that might be to put me on a team . I got a little nervous under the pressure of everyone watching . Two videos are below.

Update:
Aug 6th . Tryouts in two days. Been working a lot . Here is a update video. What are good running times for home to first?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I don’t really know anything about batting, so I have no comments on that. However, I just want you to know that I have great respect for your work ethic and for seeking feedback from people who know more and can help. I wish all the girls on our travel team had your drive and commitment to getting better. Keep up the great work. It will pay off.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I’d like to see you try to hit the ball hard. Hit it like you’re mad at it! Also, the looseness in your wrists while you are swinging the bat back and forth (before you swing to hit the ball) is a good thing. Incorporate that in your swing on the ball. Don’t push the bat through the ball. Whip the bat through the ball.

Keep up the hard work! 😀

Apr 3, 2020
Okay . I'll try to get a video like that .
I’d like to see you try to hit the ball hard. Hit it like you’re mad at it! Also, the looseness in your wrists while you are swinging the bat back and forth (before you swing to hit the ball) is a good thing. Incorporate that in your swing on the ball. Don’t push the bat through the ball. Whip the bat through the ball.

Keep up the hard work! 😀

Apr 17, 2019
First, amazing work - you've come a long way in a short time.
Next things to address, personally, I'd like to see you stretch the coil a little more (keep that rear scap pulled back just a couple frames longer after the lower half has started before allowing the arms to start). Think of it like a spring that you're twisting. When you let go it springs back. You're doing the same thing with your lower/upper half.
Would also like to see the arms get to extension (arms get straight, tip of the bat pointing roughly at the Shortstop for a lefty) before you allow the wrap. Your arms get to that straight position, but not until the bat is pointing almost at 1st base. This will keep you in the zone longer. Think I left a drill on this in another of your threads.
And, like Eric said, like to see some swings with a little more intent. Looks like you might be pulling your punches to make sure the ball doesn't go too far in your environment .... Try a weighted ball. I like these guys here.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020

Keep up the hard work! 😀
Just updated and added new videos from lesson today.

Apr 17, 2019
Live ball's looking good. There are some minor things to work on, but you're getting consistent, which is great!

IMO, it's time to start working on speeding up the swing so you can stay on time for the pitching in your age group. Be careful what you hear in that sentence. I don't mean rush - I mean systematically working on making your existing swing happen faster. Don't let it get sloppy.

If you notice, the swing speeds up naturally when you introduce the liveball. (from toe touch to contact on the tee, you took about 12 frames. with live ball, it was around 8.) Take some of that urgency to your tee work. Spend your on-tee warmup still thinking mechanics. After you feel warmed up, switch your thinking to visualization. Visualize your coach feeding you the soft toss for a few, hit with that urgency. Then visualize a game situation, in your mind, see the pitcher going through her motion. Train your body to be on time with your imaginary pitcher. If you're not great at visualizing in your head, you can even find a game on youtube that matches your age level, and just pretend you're every batter. Go through the motions empty handed until you get a feel for it, then try the tee again.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
The swings on moving balls look way better than the tee swings. On the tee, it looks like you're hitting to the ball. On the moving balls it looks like you're hitting through the ball.

Since you are currently working with an instructor, I don't want to say a lot that might be conflicting with the information you're paying for. However, a big issue is see is that your swing pattern is all-back/all-forward - pull back, shift weight back, push it all forward. This is not the pattern of a high level swing.

Apr 3, 2020

Keep up the hard work! 😀
Update posted

Apr 3, 2020
Live ball's looking good. There are some minor things to work on, but you're getting consistent, which is great!

IMO, it's time to start working on speeding up the swing so you can stay on time for the pitching in your age group. Be careful what you hear in that sentence. I don't mean rush - I mean systematically working on making your existing swing happen faster. Don't let it get sloppy.

If you notice, the swing speeds up naturally when you introduce the liveball. (from toe touch to contact on the tee, you took about 12 frames. with live ball, it was around 8.) Take some of that urgency to your tee work. Spend your on-tee warmup still thinking mechanics. After you feel warmed up, switch your thinking to visualization. Visualize your coach feeding you the soft toss for a few, hit with that urgency. Then visualize a game situation, in your mind, see the pitcher going through her motion. Train your body to be on time with your imaginary pitcher. If you're not great at visualizing in your head, you can even find a game on youtube that matches your age level, and just pretend you're every batter. Go through the motions empty handed until you get a feel for it, then try the tee again.
Update posted