16u beginner learning to bat update .

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I'm just a Mom and not a Coach, but I just want to say that you are awesome for seeking out this Forum and advice from all these wise people. You are determined and dedicated. Keep going and trying; you will find your team! Chin up and keep grinding! :)

Apr 3, 2020
Hi Hannah, love your work ethic and drive. Based on that alone if I had you at my tryout you would be on my team. Excellent attitude!!!

What do you feel you struggled with at try outs? Maybe based on that we can suggest drills that can help you out.

One suggestion I have for you, I would lay off the switch hitting for now. Focus on your strong side.

Best of luck and wish you much success!
Thank you. Run Speed and throwing is my major problems I think . I can throw but if I throw far a few times I can't throw much more so maybe strengthening muscle.

Apr 3, 2020
I'm just a Mom and not a Coach, but I just want to say that you are awesome for seeking out this Forum and advice from all these wise people. You are determined and dedicated. Keep going and trying; you will find your team! Chin up and keep grinding! :)
Yes ma'am. If it was easy everyone would do it . Thanks you .

May 23, 2015
Fight everyday and don't work on the minutiae. You need to swing that bat and get your body so use to doing it that its second nature. Make it feel right. Also remember that it doesn't happen overnight in most cases but it can. Mentally find a way to simplify this game. Don't let your head out run you because it will. I promise you that. Small steps Hannah

Also keep in mind that the MLB, NFL, and NBA is filled with players that didn't start until their junior and senior year. A lot of good arguments for that actually because you haven't had 10 years of head filling nonsense to work out. Its easier to start with a clean slate

You're always welcome to send me a direct message. I'll help where I can

May 23, 2015
Thank you. Run Speed and throwing is my major problems I think . I can throw but if I throw far a few times I can't throw much more so maybe strengthening muscle.

Throwing takes time. Again its all about muscle memory. Memory is a key word here because memory requires repetition.

Running. Read and follow this thread. It solid gold. I dont think I've ever seen a more straight forward simple post on this or any other site regarding any topic. He really knows what he's talking about

Apr 17, 2019
Hey Hannah, sorry, been away from the forums for a minute. Sorry you didn't make the team, but I know someone would be glad to have you. I'll take your attitude with room to grow over the girl who's been playing for 10 years and has a chip on her shoulder. Keep grinding.
A little concerned when you say if you throw hard, you can't throw much more. Does it hurt to throw after that? Don't remember if it's come up in your threads, but check out Wasserman High Level Throwing. The course costs some money, you can stick to what you can find on youtube. The pattern is in the water bottle drill and the tl;dr version is use your scaps to throw. Strength training is always a benefit (done properly).
Fielding work; nothing beats a wall and a tennis ball. If you can do it barehanded, you can do it with a glove on.
Speed - I've had many girls who just have the hardest time getting their feet to work fast. Interval training is great for building speed, but you have to push yourself past your limit during your fast interval, go 110% of your top speed. That Speed thread seems to have some good suggestions. In addition to the skips, I have my kids work high knees, butt kickers, but especially chop steps. .

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020
Hey Hannah, sorry, been away from the forums for a minute. Sorry you didn't make the team, but I know someone would be glad to have you. I'll take your attitude with room to grow over the girl who's been playing for 10 years and has a chip on her shoulder. Keep grinding.
A little concerned when you say if you throw hard, you can't throw much more. Does it hurt to throw after that? Don't remember if it's come up in your threads, but check out Wasserman High Level Throwing. The course costs some money, you can stick to what you can find on youtube. The pattern is in the water bottle drill and the tl;dr version is use your scaps to throw. Strength training is always a benefit (done properly).
Fielding work; nothing beats a wall and a tennis ball. If you can do it barehanded, you can do it with a glove on.
Speed - I've had many girls who just have the hardest time getting their feet to work fast. Interval training is great for building speed, but you have to push yourself past your limit during your fast interval, go 110% of your top speed. That Speed thread seems to have some good suggestions. In addition to the skips, I have my kids work high knees, butt kickers, but especially chop steps. .

Thank you . My motivation has dropped . Every day I give it everything . What I meant about my throwing was when I would try to throw with more speed and force my muscle on my arm would start hurting bad but I think I solved it by changing my form when throwing and taking the two steps before throwing

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thank you . My motivation has dropped . Every day I give it everything . What I meant about my throwing was when I would try to throw with more speed and force my muscle on my arm would start hurting bad but I think I solved it by changing my form when throwing and taking the two steps before throwing

You can't do that to your body, and expect it to hold up. It's a quick path to injury. Strength is not built by the effort, but by the body recovering from the effort and rebuilding itself a little stronger so it can handle the effort better the next time. In other words, you need to give the body a chance to recover. Throwing hard (or doing anything hard) every day isn't giving your body a chance to recover. Especially things like throwing, poor mechanics can make it worse in a hurry.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Hang in there! Don't quit!

First we have this poem hanging in our home as a reminder:

Long reply coming here but stuff I think you should know/might help.
When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.
Life is strange with its twists and turns
As every one of us sometimes learns
And many a failure comes about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow—
You may succeed with another blow.
Success is failure turned inside out—
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell just how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit—
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

Second, I love the story of Amanda Scarborough. She wasn't the best or #1 pitcher on her travel team. Yet...she wasn't too shabby. Her story is worth looking up.

You've gotten some great advice and encouragement from some wise folks at DFP. I hope you'll take it to heart and keep working keep persevering.

Third, you mentioned your motivation has dropped. This is to be expected. I see motivation is a "feeling" where as discipline is an action. Put another way Motivation is temporary and discipline is forever. I'm not criticizing you. In fact as I've watched your story unfold I saw that you had discipline going for you. So when I saw "motivation" in your post today...i felt the urging to share with you the difference.

My DD is a pitcher. She's come to understand the difference of motivation and discipline. She said...."I may not feel motivated to do my workout today....but by having the discipline to do it...I've gotten better and working towards reaching my goals."

Please consider this. Success is the progressive realization of a worthwhile goal. I'd say you're successful already as your are working to realize your goal. It's not easy. There's setbacks and roadblocks. Keep working.

And finally some resources to help you on our softball journey and your life as well
Jocko Willink- Book: Extreme Ownership
Jocko Wilink- Book: Discipline equals freedom
Jocko Willink- Jocko Podcast.... there's a bunch, sort through topics that interest you.
Justin Su'a- Book: Mentally Tough Teens (Can't recommend this one enough)
Justin Su'a-Podcast Increase your Impact...very short 3 minutes or less daily.
Justin Su'a Twitter
Joshua Medcalf-Book: Chop Wood, Carry Water
Timothy Gallwey-Book: Inner Game of Tennis

Ted talks...I think all of the above have one.

Throwing and Throwing Mechanics. I'd look up Austin Wasserman High Level Throwing. There's lots of free stuff on the internet and videos with his stuff. We found the purchase of his E book was worth it...but if money is a consideration you can glean a lot from internet to get you started.

good luck. keep working. keep it up. Don't quit. Have Courage.

Jun 8, 2016
Also keep in mind that the MLB, NFL, and NBA is filled with players that didn't start until their junior and senior year.
Not taking anything away from Hannah as what she is doing is wonderful, but the bold is a stretch in particular for MLB and the NBA if you are under 7 feet tall (and even you are 7 feet tall nowadays..not too many Hakeem Olajuwon's running around the NBA in 2020..) If my kid asks me if the swing she took was good or bad and I think it is bad I will tell her..no use sugar coating things..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13