Up and Through?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2012
Need some drills or suggestions to help dd get on plane of the ball. Bad about swing down to the ball. When contact, bat goes down instead of up and through. Hits a line drive, and ball has so much backspin it just floats, not driven.

Thanks
Chad

Nov 2, 2015
Need some drills or suggestions to help dd get on plane of the ball. Bad about swing down to the ball. When contact, bat goes down instead of up and through. Hits a line drive, and ball has so much backspin it just floats, not driven.

Thanks
Chad

Majority of the time, a "wood-chop" swing is the product of the hands going before the hips. Work on her sequence, and the chop should take care of itself.

Oct 21, 2012
Okay, haven't looked at it that way. I've just noticed barrel comes over her shoulder instead of down beside her shoulder. I'll have to look into that. That's for the suggestion.

Thanks
Chad

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I've just noticed barrel comes over her shoulder instead of down beside her shoulder.

Something that may help, have her hold the bat with only her top hand and grip only with thumb and middle two fingers. hold it loosely at first and take some (easy)dry swings, going thru all phases of the swing. notice and feel the whip action. then do some tee work the same way. try to maximize bat speed and impact while minimizing effort. stay relaxed.

Not that this will fix it, but it will help her feel the correct movement of the bat and the body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd