Umpiring Positioning: 2 Umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Situation: 2 outs, runner on 3rd. BU is in position C. Ball is hit to F5, R3 dives back to base under the tag attempt. F5 turns and throws to F3. PU is focused on making the call at 3rd. BU is also focused on the play at 3rd. Close play at 1st and BU admits did not see play. PU calls runner out. My understanding is in the 2 man setup when BU is in position C they are responsible for plays at 1st. Is that correct?

Jan 18, 2011
The BU is responsible for all bases, except home. When in pos. C BU is responsible for the first play, in this case 3rd base. BU should continue on with the play and watch throw to 1st to make call there also. But because BU is at pos. C he can refer to the PU to help with the call at 1st. The only thing wrong the BU did was not follow the play to 1st but PU would be back up for call at 1st.

In short, the BU is responsible for both calls. The PU ump should also watch both plays and be ready for an appeal or for help called by the BU.

To answer your question, yes, BU ump is responsible for call at first after the call at third, which is the first play made.

Hope this helps and makes since, kind of tired writing this, lol.

Jun 22, 2010
Coach Scott is correct. The PU can't make either call, because PU has to stay at home in case the runner at third goes. The BU has to try to follow the ball and make both calls. It's the furthest away any umpire is going to be from a call on the bases (hopefully!).

It's one of the limitations of the 2-ump system. If a third umpire is available and affordable, this situation is easy.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Agree with above for the same reasons as posted. Definitely the BU call.

A few questions though, firstly, who did make the call at 3rd? Your post isn't clear on that, but I read it as the PU made the call? Secondly, did the BU never even look over to play at 1st? Just inquiring, but it was the responsibility of BU unless they communicated somehow during the play, or as happened to me before, THOUGHT they communicated during the play. :)

Mar 15, 2010
A few questions though, firstly, who did make the call at 3rd?

Both BU and PU signaled safe at 3rd (BTW my team was batter/runner). Not sure why with 2 outs F5 even went for the tag out at 3rd, should have immediately gone to F3.

Secondly, did the BU never even look over to play at 1st?

No, BU shrugged his shoulders when PU looked his way for the call.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1