Umpire with wrong information

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
He approached one of my 11 YO pitching students and told her that she was illegal. He said that she has to approach the rubber with the ball in her bare hand. (She keeps it in her glove.)

That just isn't the ASA rule.

Rule 6, section 1, D -

While on that pitching plate, the pitcher shall take the signal or appear to be taking the signal with the hands separated. The ball must remain in either the glove or pitching hand.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Amy, you are correct. If this happened to result in movement of runners and/or a run scored, I would protest the incorrect rules interpretation. Just like an illegal pitcher will never change if she's never called on it, a bullheaded umpire may need to lose a few protests before he or she decides to actually crack the spine on the latest rule book.

Apr 13, 2010
Can anyone explain to me why that rule is even in there? Why do I care as a coach/or batter for an opposing team if the pitcher has their hands apart or not?

Feb 14, 2011
Can anyone explain to me why that rule is even in there? Why do I care as a coach/or batter for an opposing team if the pitcher has their hands apart or not?

I agree we had a team complaing last year because our pitcher left the ball in her mitt. The umpire said he was gonna start calling illegal pitches. Needless to say this was her routine and totally threw her off, had to bring another pitcher in.

Nov 29, 2009

To stop a pitcher from quick pitching. If she steps on the rubber with her hands together she is essentially ready to deliver the pitch before the hitter is settled and ready. Kind of like doing a modified walk through pitch.

The approach with taking the signal with the hands apart makes the pitcher stop for at least a second or two and then deliver the pitch.

Saw a girl in a HS playoff game trying to quick pitch hitters. The ump called it on the very first pitch she threw. The coach came out jumping up and down because she was doing it all season without being called. Needless to say it was the only she tried. She then went to pitching normally and got soundly hit by the other team.

Apr 13, 2010
To stop a pitcher from quick pitching. If she steps on the rubber with her hands together she is essentially ready to deliver the pitch before the hitter is settled and ready. Kind of like doing a modified walk through pitch.

The approach with taking the signal with the hands apart makes the pitcher stop for at least a second or two and then deliver the pitch.

Saw a girl in a HS playoff game trying to quick pitch hitters. The ump called it on the very first pitch she threw. The coach came out jumping up and down because she was doing it all season without being called. Needless to say it was the only she tried. She then went to pitching normally and got soundly hit by the other team.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

Jun 22, 2008
As Amy has already said, nothing in the rules says a word about which hand the ball can be in. It only specifies that the hands must be separated when stepping to the pitching plate and they must remain apart while taking, or simulating taking a signal.

Jun 22, 2008
Out of curiosity, what part of AZ was this in? and, do you know if they were an ASA umpire? if not do you know what association they do games for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321