Umpire Obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
The rules about the only 2 types of umpire interference are very clear. I can't see ever awarding bases or moving runners because of a player running into me. It sucks, and I should do all I can to avoid it, but I'm part of the field and you really open a can of worms because it would be pretty tough to draw a line on where to stop making "adjustments".

Aug 25, 2019
@The Man In Blue @EdLovrich, Gentleman, I'm a simple man, so I would like simple answers to these umpire interference scenarios:

1-Umpire gets hit with a batted ball

2-Umpire gets hit with a thrown ball

3-Umpire gets in the way and hinders/make contact with a runner and that runner is put out

4-Umpire hinders/makes contact with a fielder making a play on a ball, grounder, line drive, pop up, and the play is not made.

USA and USSSA rules if you can, although I think they should be the same, thank you.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Gentleman, I'm a simple man, so I would like simple answers to these umpire interference scenarios:

USA Rules

8.1.E.7 - When a fair batted ball strikes the person, attached equipment or clothing of an umpire, before passing a fielder other than the pitcher
Effect: the ball is dead, the batter-runner is awarded first base, runners are advanced if forced.

No rule. Live ball

3-Umpire gets in the way and hinders/make contact with a runner and that runner is put out

No rule. Live ball.

4-Umpire hinders/makes contact with a fielder making a play on a ball, grounder, line drive, pop up, and the play is not made.

8.6.F and RS 33,G.2. - When an umpire interferes with a catcher 's attempt to put out a runner stealing, or an attempted pick off from catcher to any base, it is interference only if the runner is not put out, in which case runners are returned to the base occupied at time of pitch. UMPIRE INTERFERENCE MAY NOT BE CALLED IN ANY OTHER CASE (emphasis mine). Note: it is not umpire interference if on a passed ball or wild pitch, the umpire gets hit by a thrown ball from the catcher. The ball remains live.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
The rules about the only 2 types of umpire interference are very clear. I can't see ever awarding bases or moving runners because of a player running into me. It sucks, and I should do all I can to avoid it, but I'm part of the field and you really open a can of worms because it would be pretty tough to draw a line on where to stop making "adjustments".

I guess I need to clarify my position ... if a player runs into me, sorry. If I do something that I shouldn't be doing and I impact the play, I am going fix the problem that I caused.

I cannot think of a time this has actually occurred to me or even something that I can point to that would qualify, so maybe I should have just stayed quiet. :giggle:

May 29, 2015
Since @Greatdaytobeawildcat grabbed USA already, here is USSSA ...

Definition of Umpire Interference: Rule 3.B
Umpire interference is when the Umpire, inadvertently moves so as to hinder a catcher’s attempt to throw or when a fair, untouched ball touches an Umpire before the closest infielder has a reasonable opportunity to field the ball.

Rule 8.7.E
Sec. 7. A Runner may advance with liability to be put out.
E. If a fair ball strikes an Umpire or a runner after having passed an infielder other than the pitcher, and provided no other fielder had a chance to make an out, or when a fair batted ball has been touched by an infielder, including the pitcher, and the runner did not intentionally interfere with the batted ball or the fielder attempting to field the batted ball.
EFFECT- Section 7: The ball is in play.

Rule 8.7.C
Sec. 7. A Runner may advance with liability to be put out.
C. On a thrown ball that hits an Umpire.

EFFECT- Section 7: The ball is in play.

I cannot find any specifically applicable rule.
Default to 14.12.M
The Plate Umpire shall stand behind the catcher. The Plate Umpire shall make all decisions except those commonly reserved for the Base Umpire. The duties of the Plate Umpire shall include the following:
M. Have the authority to make decisions on any situation not specifically covered in the rules.

I cannot find any applicable rule.
Default to 14.12.M
The Plate Umpire shall stand behind the catcher. The Plate Umpire shall make all decisions except those commonly reserved for the Base Umpire. The duties of the Plate Umpire shall include the following:

M. Have the authority to make decisions on any situation not specifically covered in the rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles