Umpire Obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019

I was watching this video (this cat puts up good softball videos) and I was wondering, would this be umpire obstruction/interference?.....The runner from 2nd was going to 3rd and the base umpire kind of got in the way of her path. The runner was safe, but if she was put out, what would the ruling be? I believe that if a hit ball hits an umpire, it's a live ball. But if a fielder runs into an umpire, is that also a live ball?.....And what about this scenario of an umpire running into a runner's basepath?

Jun 3, 2021
This is an interesting question. I see a couple scenarios. Is the umpire in the correct position to make the call. Did the base runner go out of their way to initiate contact (the all so beautiful judgement call) and / or did it affect the outcome of the play. My thoughts only. Interested in what those who know have to say.

Jun 6, 2018
Is there such thing as umpire interference? Asking since we had an umpire this year literally interfere in two plays by being in the spot of a pop up behind second and never moving out of the way. First one hit him then coach told second to plow into him next time if he doesn’t move.

just seems wrong but that umpire was not fit to be an ump.

Mar 1, 2013
Speaking USA Softball only - the only provision for Umpire Interference is on a batted ball or with a catcher trying to put out a runner stealing. In the former, it's just a dead ball and the B/R is put on first and advance anyone forced. In the latter, it's basically a delayed dead ball. If the catcher retires the stealing runner, they are out. If not, everyone just returns to the base occupied at TOP.

In the situation above, you have exactly what happened in the video. The umpire apologizes and promises to do better. We are "part of the playing field" and everyone just has to work around each other. We do our best to be in position to make the calls while also not interfering with play.

When working the younger games, I usually tell the catchers that, "If something gets through, you just go after the ball - I'm watching you and I'll move. If I don't move, it's OK to give me a little shove - just not too hard because I'm old and break." They usually get a chuckle out of that and I've never received said shove from a catcher.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Push umpire out of the way.

Bummer blue but your a mobile part of the field.
Sorry had to push you.
Gotta make the play.

It happens more so on pop ups or when the ball gets behind an umpire.
(like behind the plate)
Umpire will often stand still.
Get that,
to not make it worse 'stepping' into the way.
Sometimes the player see's the ball the Blue doesnt.
A 'little' guidance can direct the Blue in a quick moment for player to get to the ball.
This rarely needs to happen~
Generally when the ball is in such close proximety to the Blue it is hindering the play.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think I've seen this discussed before in other situations, but isn't there a provision where an umpire can correct the outcome if their actions put one team in jeopardy?

In most cases, I'd think it's just a no call (like a wild pitch that gets caught up in the umpire's feet and the catcher has to work around him). But if the umpire gets himself out of position or otherwise moves into the path of the base runner, they should be able to correct their mistake.

May 29, 2015
As @EdLovrich said, "umpire obstruction" is a defined thing in each rulebook.

In NFHS, it applies to an umpire impacting a catcher making a throw (on a non-batted ball). That said, the rule specifically states it is NOT umpire interference when the umpire and catcher tangle up while the catcher is trying to go after a ball OR if the catcher hits the umpire with the throw. Basically, only if the ball or catcher's hand (in the process of throwing) gets caught up. ("Penalty" - delayed dead ball; the ball remains live. If the runner is thrown out, the out stands. If the runner reaches safely, she must go back to her previous base.)

I'll have to look up USSSA and NCAA later ... but I am not aware of any code that applies "umpire interference" on baserunning.

In the video, I don't think the umpire looked out of position, the runner just took a wide turn (legal) and shirts happen.

If the runner had been thrown out, I would have to step in an invoke my privilege to rule on things not written in the book ... If I felt it was obvious she would have been safe and I caused the out, I might award her the bag. That said, I actually have seen runners try to use umpires as screens ... you aren't getting anything from me there.

Jun 13, 2018
TMIB if you get in the way then award a base or negate an out you've entered MSU territory. You know this.

May 29, 2015
TMIB if you get in the way then award a base or negate an out you've entered MSU territory. You know this.

I disagree. IF this is my fault, I feel that I do have the duty to rectify it. If it is NOT my fault, play on.

Every code allows an umpire to rule on things not written in the rules. No code other than NCAA talks about players (beyond the catcher) colliding with umpires.

NCAA 9.6 is on umpire's interference. I may give you this one. NCAA specifically states it is NOT umpire interference if a runner/fielder runs into an umpire -- it DOES state the ball is live and the runner is entitled to advance with liability to be put out. Umpire interference in NCAA occurs when: a batted ball strikes an umpire before passing or touching a fielder who can play on it OR an umpire hinders a catcher's throw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom