Umpire Beaten up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
I believe in Oklahoma it's a felony(or was) to attack an official. Not sure if it extends to the parking lot or when exactly they are no longer considered "officials". Maybe it will be considered a felony there.

Jul 20, 2021
Betting? That’s actually shocking to read!
I was almost speechless when I first heard about it. I asked around away from the field with parents that I knew from several different teams and they verified it. I can only imagine how bad it might be at home afterwards for one of the bettors’ kids that played really poorly in a game on which dad had bet big money. Very sad. Probably the biggest reason for me switching over from peewee football to fastpitch on Saturdays in the fall.

Jul 20, 2021
I believe in Oklahoma it's a felony(or was) to attack an official. Not sure if it extends to the parking lot or when exactly they are no longer considered "officials". Maybe it will be considered a felony there.
Many states have statutes making assault on a sports official a felony. This is great in theory. But in the reality of our current society it means little more than a paper shield in the heat of the moment. It’s worse in some areas than others. Weak coaches refuse to hold parents/fans accountable. When an official makes a controversial call all hell breaks lose. It’s as immediate as road rage. It’s no wonder the ranks of officials are thinning.

Feb 1, 2021
My story is small potatoes compared to this, but in a 14U tourney a few years back, our 12U team was playing and the other teams parents got so abusive with the ump that he called time and walked off the field, got in his car and left. He quit on the spot. As he was leaving the other teams parents lined the road and heckled him with waves good bye or 'the finger'.

We were absolutely stunned.

The remainder of the tourney we actually had uniformed police surrounding our bleachers. I assume they thought we were involved which to this day is still extremely embarrassing.

Aug 25, 2019
I wonder if this actually happened, I can’t find any info on this, and these days something like this usually makes the news.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes