Two Seamers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
Neat one on two seam. DD has thrown it for 8 months when ahead in count. Had nice little tale in on righty. Just enough to create mis hits. Posted on curveball not long ago, where she was trying it. Something about pc working her on curve has triggered better brush and whip IR. I think where he told her hand has to outrun or pass up the elbow, helped her with the princess hand finish. All her pitches have better velocity and just overall form looking better. So she is loose and start lesson with fb's and after few of them I tell her two seem. She turns it loose I give out a holy crap and she has that dropped jaw look of what the heck. Now she has no control but it had way more movement than she ever achieves with curve. If she can keep/get that pitch started in the strike zone it will be a good pitch. And like others have mentioned she was smiling big time with it.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Neat one on two seam. DD has thrown it for 8 months when ahead in count. Had nice little tale in on righty. Just enough to create mis hits. Posted on curveball not long ago, where she was trying it. Something about pc working her on curve has triggered better brush and whip IR. I think where he told her hand has to outrun or pass up the elbow, helped her with the princess hand finish. All her pitches have better velocity and just overall form looking better. So she is loose and start lesson with fb's and after few of them I tell her two seem. She turns it loose I give out a holy crap and she has that dropped jaw look of what the heck. Now she has no control but it had way more movement than she ever achieves with curve. If she can keep/get that pitch started in the strike zone it will be a good pitch. And like others have mentioned she was smiling big time with it.

Not sure which is better, the movement or that big grin on their face?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Yep something about beatin up on a boy, always put smile on DD... :cool:

My thinking on the 2Seam, is that it's a pitch that has a mind of its own. Never really tried to calibrate it. Knowing that it is Magus Effect, and that the wind, maybe even barometric pressure could have something to do with it... I know it works better outside than inside...(a facility) First thing I was looking for when getting to a game is which direction the diamond is appointed. I thought it would work best throwing into prevailing wind... but can't prove that either.

The main thing is have a (at least one pitch) down pat.... and just switch it to 2Seam. Now you have 2 pitches. Its like double couponing. Its the movement that unsettles the batter. In, out, up or down....DD thinks of it as her friend, that knows which way to go on its own... when she's not sure what to do... kinda a "go to" pitch, that she can make adjustments off of. She uses 2Seam & 4Seam OTTD when she needs a strike. Its no different than a flamethrower putting extra umpf on a pitch, and it goes wild... still has an effect on a hitter, having to get out of the way, or seeing the speed on it when it goes high at eye level. I guess we all know the fundamental truth, "don't throw the same pitch twice" 2Seaming it can double the menu. :cool:

Glad to see so many others happy with their investment of time in it.... tooo. Trying to harness it takes all the fun & surprise out of it .... for the pitcher :cool:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
DD has started working with the 2 seam this summer in preparation for college season #2. When I asked if she liked it, she just smiled. Can't wait to see it in action.

May 13, 2012
While we played last night the movement was way better than before. Like her PC said he thinks she is kindly having a break thru moment with better brush and IR. On way home we talking about it and she said the thumb being on a seam was affecting her location. Thumb has always been on seam but the better mechanics is probably putting more pressure. We will just keep working on it. One thing is I never had thoughts of, was the movement is perceived and not really moving. I had body parts drawing up sometimes.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
While we played last night the movement was way better than before. Like her PC said he thinks she is kindly having a break thru moment with better brush and IR. On way home we talking about it and she said the thumb being on a seam was affecting her location. Thumb has always been on seam but the better mechanics is probably putting more pressure. We will just keep working on it. One thing is I never had thoughts of, was the movement is perceived and not really moving. I had body parts drawing up sometimes.

Not sure about the thumb coming into play ???.... Here is what I'm talking about

2~SEAM.gif

May 13, 2012
Not sure about the thumb coming into play ???.... Here is what I'm talking about

2~SEAM.gif

She has 3 fingers across narow seems. That puts her thumb on seam to the side. Now if she rotates it a little and gets thumb off seam she has better control less movement. Thumb on seem can't control it but sharp.breaks.

Aug 19, 2016
So I just finished this epic thread. I was wondering if 2.5 years later anyone has anything else add...tips/tricks/how your DD is currently throwing her 2 seam. I'm gonna give the 2 seam a try with my daughter this week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi