Two Seamers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Classof2020- The two seamer can break either direction, just depends on where you point the bald spot. So it going in instead of out is not a concern, just look (or preferably capture on video) the spin from the catcher's perspective.

PC- a year later and the two seamer is now her favorite pitch, my favorite pitch, her coaches' favorite pitch. She gets compliments on her "curveball" all the time, which she does not throw :) She was throwing BP to her sisters' team and the head of the org was making not so subtle recruiting overtures (she plays for a rival org)...when I told him she threw a two seam fastball he was impressed, he said he didn't understand why more girls didn't throw it, in his words it is a "great slider".

So my faith is intact. I still want to get her throwing it so it slides in instead of out, but something else always gets in the way at practice.

Her sister is also her catcher in practice and she was the lone holdout on it actually breaking, she said she just couldn't see it break. At that session where her sister pitched to her team, older sis threw her a steady diet of the 2 seamer. 3 ks later lil sis was a believer :)

viva la seamer de dos!!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC- a year later and the two seamer is now her favorite pitch, my favorite pitch, her coaches' favorite pitch. She gets compliments on her "curveball" all the time, which she does not throw :) She was throwing BP to her sisters' team and the head of the org was making not so subtle recruiting overtures (she plays for a rival org)...when I told him she threw a two seam fastball he was impressed, he said he didn't understand why more girls didn't throw it, in his words it is a "great slider".

GREAT !!! Now I can take my stupid 2 seam spinning Avatar down... :cool:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
This is Trevor Bauer describing how he tries to create more horizontal movement on his two seam fastball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYyq9MTVdoc

Good explanation for how he tries to use the spin and seam orientation to create turbulent flow on one side.

Good find. Bauer seems to put a lot into understanding the physics behind what he is doing. He has put up many videos explaining his pitches- for pitching fans searching out his videos and posts are a wealth of information.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
What's the ideal spin orientation for a 2 seamer from a rhp? DD uses the grip riseball posted, runs away from a rhh, thought of it as a cut fastball. Gonna play with the grip some more. Should she be trying to move the baldspot as JJ calls it, to get the ball to move in or out? She's got it moving away decent, would like to be able to move it in also.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
You know... the reason you have fielders grab a 4 seam for throwing to each other and especially to 1st base.... don't want any curveballs.

Now when you get comfortable with bald... try a Baldheaded KunckelBall. Its How's flatfinger knuckleball posted here in the grips thread.

Baldheaded because you don't let any part of your finger tips/pads of finger or thumb touch ...any part of the seams. Can do 2or4 seam... easier to finger it 2Seam.... try both.

Now get the ball pushed back tight into your palm of the hand, and throw the pitch... same as you throw the rest of your pitches... :cool: Should learn in 2min or less.... WhaaaLaaa

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
You know... the reason you have fielders grab a 4 seam for throwing to each other and especially to 1st base.... don't want any curveballs.

Now when you get comfortable with bald... try a Baldheaded KunckelBall. Its How's flatfinger knuckleball posted here in the grips thread.

Baldheaded because you don't let any part of your finger tips/pads of finger or thumb touch ...any part of the seams. Can do 2or4 seam... easier to finger it 2Seam.... try both.

Now get the ball pushed back tight into your palm of the hand, and throw the pitch... same as you throw the rest of your pitches... :cool: Should learn in 2min or less.... WhaaaLaaa

Will do, thanks PC

May 5, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Finally got around to trying a two seam pitch today. DD #2 is turning 13 and was in a bad mood, didn't want to try something new. We warmed up and then we tried throwing a two seam with different grips and different finger pressure, tried to give up after a few tries but kept at it. By the end she was moving it in and out with some consistency. Had a big smile on her face, couldn't believe she could move the ball to one side or the other with the same grip, just different finger pressure. We have tried a 4 seam curve ball on and off over the last two years without much luck. She had more success with 2 seams in about 30 minutes. She has a great 4 seam drop ball and we want to develop an offspeed drop curve hopeing we might find it with the 2 seamer.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
She has a great 4 seam drop ball

Just change the way you hold that great 4Seam drop ball... hold it 2Seam...same pitch, same way except seam. Not even sure you need any finger pressure. Now you'll have 2 great drops... each doing something a little different. Very simple addition...maybe subtraction...2 less seams. LOL

I've seen people get uptight about it... This is what everyone that says "Have Fun" is talking about...it makes it fun for them, when they first realize it.
Then they start feeling like a magician. Then when you get her a regular catcher, they love it too. Can't wait to call it :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi