Two Lookback Ruling Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I really hate this rule as it has so many interpretations. The more I read about it, the more confusing it becomes.

It is not that confusing. Just too many people overthink it and believe they must be right.

My understanding of the rule was if a runner rounds a base and does not stop on the base itself and the pitcher has the ball in the circle, the runner may stop once and immediately continue to advance to the next base or immediately return to the previous base.

See how simple that is?

If the pitcher fakes a throw or throws to a plate, the LBR does not apply and even if the runner stopped once already, they may attempt to run again...

I have no idea what you mean. However, simple version: If the pitcher makes a play on any runner, the LBR is not applicable to any runner.

I was also under the impression that the LBR "reset" itself after every base taken, so a runner could stop once between 1B and 2B, once again between 2B and 3B, and once again between 3B and HB. I could be mistaken so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Okay, you are wrong. The runner must proceed to the next base or previous base. That's it. What you are suggesting is part of the BS that cause the rule to be initiated.

I really want to know exactly how to interpret this rule so if it is incorrectly called (as stated so many times above) that I am factual and have the knowledge to contest it.

The only real issue is the judgment of the umpire as to what s/he may consider "immediate". Many umpires are trained to count to "2" and then make the call.

I wish they would get rid of the rule, it is unnecessary. Actually talked to a handful of college and JO umpires and went over a proposed change to eliminate the out, just kill the ball and put the runners back on the last base touched. It never got out of committee.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I was also under the impression that the LBR "reset" itself after every base taken, so a runner could stop once between 1B and 2B, once again between 2B and 3B, and once again between 3B and HB. I could be mistaken so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Okay, you are wrong. The runner must proceed to the next base or previous base. That's it. What you are suggesting is part of the BS that cause the rule to be initiated.

Exactly what part of Pete's description is "BS"?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Exactly what part of Pete's description is "BS"?

Just what I stated. Something that is outside the rule that somewhere along the way someone, umpire, coach or parent, decided was part of it or should be.

I don't like the rule, but it is real simple and not half as difficult to understand as people make it out to be. I doubt that Pete just decided that the LBR should be "reset" every time a runner reaches a base. The confusion start when people decide "they" really know how the rule should be and profess that as fact. That and the "live ball" myth that so many people hang onto is what causes all the frustration about these things.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just what I stated. Something that is outside the rule that somewhere along the way someone, umpire, coach or parent, decided was part of it or should be.

I don't like the rule, but it is real simple and not half as difficult to understand as people make it out to be. I doubt that Pete just decided that the LBR should be "reset" every time a runner reaches a base. The confusion start when people decide "they" really know how the rule should be and profess that as fact. That and the "live ball" myth that so many people hang onto is what causes all the frustration about these things.

Frankly, IMO, the main cause of frustration is the inconsistent interpretation by umpires. Fix that and you won't have every coach losing his mind when its called differently game-to-game, tourney-to-tourney. (Of course, it wouldn't hurt either if the coaches bothered to read the rule book(s)).

Apr 17, 2012
Idaho
You can stop and must return to base or go ahead to next base. You can not do both or "flutter" between bases as my UIC explained it this weekend. A simple head fake is an out.

Yes that is what I was trying to explain PGSAKen ! ! Like I said easier to explain it on the field. Sorry for the confusion MTR~!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Frankly, IMO, the main cause of frustration is the inconsistent interpretation by umpires. Fix that and you won't have every coach losing his mind when its called differently game-to-game, tourney-to-tourney. (Of course, it wouldn't hurt either if the coaches bothered to read the rule book(s)).

Okay, I'll say this again. It is a simple rule and clearly stated in the rule book. The only way one screws this up is by reading something that isn't there or failing to read what is.

IMO, the mere existence of this rule is simply to placate those who live under the misconception that this is baseball. It isn't and shouldn't be treated as such. Nothing is supposed to happen during this period, so just kill the damn ball and move on with the game and stop with the petty strategies over something that has nothing to do with playing the game.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Runner on 3rd. Batter walks, pitcher receives the ball, batter rounds 1st and stops then continues to 2nd, rounds second stops and returns to second.

I think the rule supports this. But it sounds like there is a different interpretation on this thread.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Runner on 3rd. Batter walks, pitcher receives the ball, batter rounds 1st and stops then continues to 2nd, rounds second stops and returns to second.

I think the rule supports this. But it sounds like there is a different interpretation on this thread.

Assuming the ball is in the circle, please cite the part of the LBR that supports this.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I'm just going by the rule posted by

The NCAA version of the rule is below:
12.24.3 A batter-runner or base runner may round a base and go directly to the
next base without stopping. If, however, she stops after rounding a base, and
the pitcher has possession of the ball in the pitcher’s circle, she must comply
with the look-back rule.

I would like to see the whole rule but as stated "after she rounds a base and the pitcher has the ball she must comply with the lbr." It doesn't state what base just after she rounds a base.

Bretman explains it better here. I would quote him but it would be out of context.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-rules-questions/5555-when-does-look-back-rule-take-effect-5.html

I do agree this doesn't matter in the higher levels of competition.

Does anyone have the latest ASA version they could post?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00