Two Lookback Ruling Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Assuming that no play was made on the runner, no, they can't. You can stop once.

We'll see if the blue crew checks in with the final word, but if I recall correctly, they opinioned that the runner can stop after EACH base before committing or retreating so yes, a runner could conceivably round 1st, stop, proceed, round 2nd, stop, proceed, round 3rd, stop, proceed to home.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
No matter how the runner gets on base, once the pitcher receives the ball in the circle and the BR reaches 1B or is retired, all runners may make one stop and lacking a play by the pitcher, commit to a base.

If at any time the runner comes to a stop in contact with the base when the LBR is in effect, they may not leave the base. Otherwise, they can run all day until they decide to stop. Once they stopped, then they must decide which way to proceed and must do so immediately (read: 1-2 seconds)

May 30, 2011
We'll see if the blue crew checks in with the final word, but if I recall correctly, they opinioned that the runner can stop after EACH base before committing or retreating so yes, a runner could conceivably round 1st, stop, proceed, round 2nd, stop, proceed, round 3rd, stop, proceed to home.

Sorry, unless a play or an attempt to make a play (such as a fake throw) occurs, the runner does NOT get to make three stops after rounding 1B with the ball in possession in the circle. Only one. And only a very short one. 1-2 secs ("one-onethousand-two-onethousand") is a long time...

Apr 17, 2012
Idaho
From my understanding just having it explained to me by a UIC on the field the other day at a game is this (it was a little heated discussion I might add but a good one), Once the runner gets to that base and pitcher has the ball the runner either if she is "rounding" off to steel to a base or getting back to her original base. IF the pitcher has the ball in her GLOVE and is standing in the circle, not making any attempt to make a play on that runner. And it has to be quickly not just being lazy walking back to the base etc. IF the pitcher makes a motion of any kind like she is going to make a play on that runner it is a LIVE ball. I hope I explained that correctly it is a lot easier to explain on the field for sure!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
From my understanding just having it explained to me by a UIC on the field the other day at a game is this (it was a little heated discussion I might add but a good one), Once the runner gets to that base and pitcher has the ball the runner either if she is "rounding" off to steel to a base or getting back to her original base. IF the pitcher has the ball in her GLOVE and is standing in the circle, not making any attempt to make a play on that runner. And it has to be quickly not just being lazy walking back to the base etc.

That is absolutely false. There is no "speed" requirement in the runner's movement, as long as the runner is moving.

IF the pitcher makes a motion of any kind like she is going to make a play on that runner it is a LIVE ball. I hope I explained that correctly it is a lot easier to explain on the field for sure!

It's always a live ball or the LBR would not be in effect.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
LBR was the 'call du jour' this past weekend and as per usual only one umpire got it right in any game I was watching.

If a player rounded first on a walk and stopped they just simply called the runner out. Every time. And every time they said "if she rounds first on a walk she must go to second or she is out". No stop and return allowed. You stop - you out.

Jun 22, 2008
LBR was the 'call du jour' this past weekend and as per usual only one umpire got it right in any game I was watching.

If a player rounded first on a walk and stopped they just simply called the runner out. Every time. And every time they said "if she rounds first on a walk she must go to second or she is out". No stop and return allowed. You stop - you out.

Someone needs to get with who ever is assigning the umpires or the UIC at the event. This is not the rule and if the umpire is in fact stating if the runner stops on a walk they are out, I would think one of the coaches would protest the ruling. They appear to be confusing the part of the rule about over running 1st base toward right field and then making a turn and move toward 2nd after the ball is in the circle. Walking and rounding 1st is completely within the rules.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Sorry, unless a play or an attempt to make a play (such as a fake throw) occurs, the runner does NOT get to make three stops after rounding 1B with the ball in possession in the circle. Only one. And only a very short one. 1-2 secs ("one-onethousand-two-onethousand") is a long time...

Would one of the blues comment on this. I was under the impression the runner could stop after each base. Just as Greenmonsters stated.

Apr 9, 2012
You can stop and must return to base or go ahead to next base. You can not do both or "flutter" between bases as my UIC explained it this weekend. A simple head fake is an out.

May 23, 2012
I really hate this rule as it has so many interpretations. The more I read about it, the more confusing it becomes. My understanding of the rule was if a runner rounds a base and does not stop on the base itself and the pitcher has the ball in the circle, the runner may stop once and immediately continue to advance to the next base or immediately return to the previous base. If the pitcher fakes a throw or throws to a plate, the LBR does not apply and even if the runner stopped once already, they may attempt to run again... I was also under the impression that the LBR "reset" itself after every base taken, so a runner could stop once between 1B and 2B, once again between 2B and 3B, and once again between 3B and HB. I could be mistaken so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I really want to know exactly how to interpret this rule so if it is incorrectly called (as stated so many times above) that I am factual and have the knowledge to contest it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad