Twitter blowing up about 7th grade rankings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
Lol............RBI is a MLB backed foundation that gives under served youth a chance to play ball. Those is not "her teams" hahahaha. She's an endorser.

You are looking bad trying to die on this hill you have created. Why not just take the L and move on?
Except it’s called Cat Osterman Softball Academy…her name. Spin it how you want. Not trying to look bad or good, just stating those calling EI out need a self reflection.

So not only are they under served, but she/her program cuts kids too. Ouch

I’m a fan of Cat. Easy for one of the greatest to play to say what she’s saying when recruiting services were not around during her time.

Nov 5, 2014
I hate the EI rankings for any age and it is worse the younger then kids are. My issues with the EI rankings (not in order of importance)

1. 300 kids in the top 100. If you are going rank kids nut up and make it a true ranking not everyone gets a trophy style. If you want to rank 300 kids call it a top 300. This is 100% to let 300 parents brag that their kid was top 100. A total joke.

2. Do some actual work. Rankings should not be based on coach/parent nominations. You only need to follow a dozen or so major tournaments each year to get a better set of rankings then they put out now.

I prefer they didn't rank kids at all especially middle school kids but if they do these changes would improve them dramatically.

3. The vast majority of the benefits of the rankings accrue to the commercial interests in the sport not the kids. The kids are exploited primarily to create a marketing tool for EI and the for profit travel ball organizations.

Edited to Add:

4. Almost forgot what probably bothers me the most. Further individualizes a team sport. It's bad enough when you get to showcase age and the game doesn't matter only individual performances. Can we please teach kids the value of teamwork and working together for a common goal.

My issues are not based on sour grapes. Was a great source of pride for DD, her teammates, coaches, and parents that they finished in the top 10 at Tier 1 Alliance at 16u and Top 10 at PGF Premier at 18u without a single EI ranked player on the roster.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
Except it’s called Cat Osterman Softball Academy…her name. Spin it how you want. Not trying to look bad or good, just stating those calling EI out need a self reflection.

So not only are they under served, but she/her program cuts kids too. Ouch

I’m a fan of Cat. Easy for one of the greatest to play to say what she’s saying when recruiting services were not around during her time.
man-you-cant-fix-stupid.gif

Oct 4, 2018
one single guy in Iowa or wherever he is compiles these rankings based on submissions alone and people are required to pay to see them. It's a joke. He doesn't even verify the submissions apparently as he had one girl on there a year or so ago that he said threw 62-63 in games but in reality she struggled to throw 55. It's a joke.

I'm trying to submit my dog this year. She's fast, really fast. Can catch anything hit anywhere near her. Loyal, coachable, always eager and ready to play.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I follow a top tier program on Insta based out of Houston but has players from many different states.

They have #'s, 2-Mia Williams, 3, 4, 9, 10, 12, 17, 18 ranked players. 8 players out of the top 18. And they also posted players ranked 86 all the way to #440. Not sure I would want my kid's ranking at 440 to posted. Good luck to those players.

Dec 11, 2010
I'm trying to submit my dog this year. She's fast, really fast. Can catch anything hit anywhere near her. Loyal, coachable, always eager and ready to play.
Strong defender, can’t hit is what I’m hearing here.

IDK, sounds top 75 at best unless the team org can sweeten the pot a little.

Has the org head told any college coaches she will be playing for them yet? (OOPS MEANT TO ASK IF ANY SCHOOLS HAVE SHOWN INTEREST.)

Jun 27, 2021
I follow a top tier program on Insta based out of Houston but has players from many different states.

They have #'s, 2-Mia Williams, 3, 4, 9, 10, 12, 17, 18 ranked players. 8 players out of the top 18. And they also posted players ranked 86 all the way to #440. Not sure I would want my kid's ranking at 440 to posted. Good luck to those players.
Mia Williams and the Mojo Fisher she played on as a 7th grader was loaded and she was the youngest along with a pitcher now headed to James Madison. The rest was 2022 kids. To my knowledge most stayed in the Top 30 throughout their years and are now playing SEC at teams like UGA, South Carolina and LSU to name a few.

Jun 8, 2016
Mia Williams and the Mojo Fisher she played on as a 7th grader was loaded and she was the youngest along with a pitcher now headed to James Madison. The rest was 2022 kids. To my knowledge most stayed in the Top 30 throughout their years and are now playing SEC at teams like UGA, South Carolina and LSU to name a few.
White Chocolate!! 😉

Jun 27, 2021
White Chocolate!! 😉
One of best parts of playing them was seeing him, he's taller in person than what you think he is. Once in Atlanta he was teaching a little brother of one of the girls how to do the behind the back elbow pass.

Pretty low key, kept to himself away or chatted to a few of the dads.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez