Turnover vs. peel drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2009
I can promise you, Thomas throws a peel. Doug Gillis is her pitching coach. There is no chance in hell he teaches a turn over.

go4fpsb, Hillhouse's hand rolls over after he releases too. He says it's natural and it is NOT a turn over, it's the way his hand rotates after the snap. He used the analogy that it's like a quarterback who's hand rotates down after they throw the ball.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
I agree with Coach Stan. Depends on the pitcher. Players with bigger hands have a natural fit to the peel -- their long fingers seem to provide more rotation. Small hands appear to make throwing the peel less effective. I've caught pitchers with really big hands, and they throw a natural fastball that is effectively a tremendous drop.
Also, many girls are physiologically capable of throwing rollovers well as they have more limber wrists than men. I've watched video of college pitchers whose hands flop over during drop delivery like flipping a dishrag.
Jim

Jul 26, 2010
Problem with the drop curve is that it is exactly on the bat plane for a RH batter, so the batter can make an imperfect effort and still have success. A drop curve works against lefties and slappers, but if it's throw inside to a RH batter as a backdoor pitch it can work. A real drop and a low curve are both on different planes then the bat head so the batter has to be much more accurate to hit them well.

-W

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
Problem with the drop curve is that it is exactly on the bat plane for a RH batter, so the batter can make an imperfect effort and still have success. A drop curve works against lefties and slappers, but if it's throw inside to a RH batter as a backdoor pitch it can work. A real drop and a low curve are both on different planes then the bat head so the batter has to be much more accurate to hit them well.

-W

This is exactly why my DD has started to work on this pitch. Being a leftie it is quite effective against right handed batters. When she hits it right she gets 4-6" lateral movement on it, but that is not consistent. Other than repetition is there anything on which she should focus or any drills that will help with her consistency?

Thanks

Jul 26, 2010
This is exactly why my DD has started to work on this pitch. Being a leftie it is quite effective against right handed batters. When she hits it right she gets 4-6" lateral movement on it, but that is not consistent. Other than repetition is there anything on which she should focus or any drills that will help with her consistency?

Thanks

Yeah anything that breaks in to RH batters are great pitches, and since curves are generally more effective then screws, this is where LH pitchers have the advantage.

You can try rope drills to help consistency. Basically you want to set up a rope horizontal to the ground in front of the plate, at about knee high level. The goal is to throw the pitch over the rope so it breaks AFTER it passes the rope, giving the batter the impression that the pitch will be a strike, before breaking (down and in for this case). You can do the same drill for different pitches, depending on how you set up the rope (or poles work for curves/screw).

-W

Jul 21, 2008
[video]http://www.fast-pitch.com/images/drop_ball_osterman.wmv[/video]

Watch that video a few times. Tell me that her hand rolls over the ball to achieve spin. That's a peel drop with an IR followthrough very similar to Uneo.

-W

I have never seen ANY pitchers hand roll over the top of the ball...physically impossible to do. Please post video of any pitcher doing this.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
Yeah anything that breaks in to RH batters are great pitches, and since curves are generally more effective then screws, this is where LH pitchers have the advantage.

You can try rope drills to help consistency. Basically you want to set up a rope horizontal to the ground in front of the plate, at about knee high level. The goal is to throw the pitch over the rope so it breaks AFTER it passes the rope, giving the batter the impression that the pitch will be a strike, before breaking (down and in for this case). You can do the same drill for different pitches, depending on how you set up the rope (or poles work for curves/screw).

-W

Thanks Starsniffer, we have done some rope work. PC has DD throwing AT the rope instead of over the rope. PCs reasoning is that it gives DD something more concrete on which to focus and immediate feedback for hitting the spot. The ball must still break after it hits the rope.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have never seen ANY pitchers hand roll over the top of the ball...physically impossible to do. Please post video of any pitcher doing this.

CoachDan, perhaps you should get out more.

<embed src="http://share.ovi.com/flash/player.aspx?media=ratwod.11503&albumname=ratwod.softball" width="512" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
CoachDan, perhaps you should get out more.

<embed src="http://share.ovi.com/flash/player.aspx?media=ratwod.11503&albumname=ratwod.softball" width="512" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

This video show me nothing....you can see the release

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild