Valerie Cagle Drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Huh? How does grip determine the pitch? Are you saying if she used the exact same mechanics but used a 2 seam grip it would be something else?
I'm not talking about her I'm talking about the peel drop. And if she's throwing 70 mph with only 25% IR she must have some fastball!!!!!!

Here is a decent video. It shows a 4 seam grip and 4 seam spin.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm not talking about her I'm talking about the peel drop. And if she's throwing 70 mph with only 25% IR she must have some fastball!!!!!!

Here is a decent video. It shows a 4 seam grip and 4 seam spin.

First, thanks for the video. It is pretty good.

Cagle was throwing FBs at 70+. I don't know how fast her drop is. When Cagle throws her drop ball, she isn't using the full "magician" IR that @BoardMember describes.

Feb 25, 2020
Im just not sure the drop is a different pitch from a "fastball" for her. I think Cagle just has top spin on her FB. And it ranges from high 60's to low 70's. I would say she throws a Drop fastball 68-72 and has a rise high 50's-low 60'w(for now) and a change obviously.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Im just not sure the drop is a different pitch from a "fastball" for her. I think Cagle just has top spin on her FB. And it ranges from high 60's to low 70's. I would say she throws a Drop fastball 68-72 and has a rise high 50's-low 60'w(for now) and a change obviously.

In terms of FB/Drop throwing.... this is my preference for a pitcher. The spin is always "drop", but she then varies the speed along with location.

Deceit is a pitchers friend.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't think fastball spin is defined. A lot of well known pitchers throw bullet spin. I have seen where a fastball is supposed to have spin half way between top and bullet. When I have a pitcher working on velocity the spin that the ball has is her 'fastball spin'. If a pitcher throws natural top spin it's not easy to get extra spin on the ball, and what do you gain in terms of break, but it's always a good idea to experiment. To me if you can gain a little top spin and take a little velocity off the ball that's the best. When the brain overestimates the speed of an incoming pitch the swing will be early and over the ball. So an off speed drop takes advantage of this perceptual error.

Jun 20, 2015
it's very hard on a batter when a pitch looks like something until it isn't. IE drop looks like FB until it isn't. Or rise look like FB until it isn't.

I love my pitchers to have good 12-6 spin on their FB and just a little extra makes it into a nasty drop ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g