Turning the barrel 5

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Personally not a fan of trying to get on plane early.

Actually for me this goes back to my very old question, how short is to short? He is explaining that TTB gets you on plane sooner, there is "some" back swing to the swing.

While the common thoughts of being short is the hand path of moving down to the contact point. It's to "short" to the ball.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just when we are all about to sing kumbaya...

Do you have a 'down towards' planing process you would like to share?

Could you comment on post #65?

Sure ... this is the post I believe you are referring to ...

Would you consider TTB to be somewhat of a trigger or timing mechanism? ...

Let me ask you a few questions.

Do you believe in two separate engines ... torso/hip-engine and forearm/hand-engine? Assuming that you do, which engine goes first? If the forearm/hand-engine goes last, then is it truly a trigger? If it isn't a trigger, is it truly the best timing mechanism?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I understand, I'm not a fan of never getting on plane...

LOL … I hear you.

If you think about it, a hitter can easily misconstrue the notion of “getting on plane early” at the expense of their hand path.

Hand path is very important to me … and I want zero cheating on the hand path with an intent of getting on plane early. To me it’s more of a goal of having a good hand path and being short, with the result being getting behind the ball on time.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Personally not a fan of trying to get on plane early.
I agree. When did Miggy 'get on plane' on these swings?
...where the barrel is launched rearward identically in each and every swing....regardless of pitch location....yet....
miggy_grid.gif

....the swing is adjusted to the necessary location on the fly....AFTER LAUNCH.
Just something to think about........
Swing then flattening not flattening(direct) then swing.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
In space they say there is no up/down. So what is a swing plane in space? Is there just a moment when the barrel and ball intersect?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Does Brett have the bat resting on his shoulder at the beginning of the swing? It looks like it is resting on his shoulder to me.

giphy.gif

In a book Hitting Biomechanics, they said Brett had one of the most efficient swing planes they ever studied.