TTB and the Fastpitch Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The important thing to remember is that a lot of the drills are exaggerated. That is the key word. When you watch a pro-hitter, the attack angle on a low pitch looks much steeper than the attack angle on a higher pitch.

Dustin Pedroia is swinging at a high pitch in this clip, but is still TTB.

l2Ztzxq.gif

Here are some examples of fastpitch players.

KHwLkiF.gif

ULTiCUR.gif

FP26, what frame or point of the sequence do you look and say "yep that hitter is beginning to ttb" ?

The barrel going backwards ?

Or is ttb being used as a way of separating those that push ? Hopefully everyone now knows that if the hands are being pulled by the obliques they're not being pushed.

When a hitter whips the barrel from the neck slot is that considered ttb ?

Since 99.**% have no idea what ttb is.. Are they all doing it naturally or is there some other actions or combination thats causing the barrel to be whipped ?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP26, what frame or point of the sequence do you look and say "yep that hitter is beginning to ttb" ?

The barrel going backwards ?

Or is ttb being used as a way of separating those that push ? Hopefully everyone now knows that if the hands are being pulled by the obliques they're not being pushed.

When a hitter whips the barrel from the neck slot is that considered ttb ?

Since 99.**% have no idea what ttb is.. Are they all doing it naturally or is there some other actions or combination thats causing the barrel to be whipped ?

To determine the timing of TTB, I look specifically at barrel path. More precisely the depth of that path. Some hitters will institute a "running start" of sorts in order to get the barrel into the ideal location to "turn". But it still works the same. My definition of "push" may be different then other posters, but I see a push as a barrel path that is more out front. Typically (but not always) more downward. "Down and to" instead of "Behind and through" as some people would say. Then there is bat drag as well, which is different than pushing or TTB.

I'm not sure if anyone has stated that the obliques are not heavily involved in the process. I know for a fact that I have never stated that. But the hands/forearms are also very important. In a way, if a hitter uses too much arm and not enough core, you will end up with a push. If a hitter uses too much core and not enough hand/forearm, you will end up with a drag. It's only when both are used together that you can get the deep barrel path that I am looking for.

Added: The clip posted by rdbass is an excellent example. I can tell from the very last frame of that clip, that this hitter will have a solid barrel path. I am specifically watching his rear hip and his hands. He creates separation, and then starts to torque the handle. Swingbuilder would state "intent of the hands on the handle". I could be wrong, but this is what that phrase means in my opinion.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question....but what is the opposite of TTB?? Like if you're not TTB then what are you doing?
This is not a dumb question and I laugh at this a lot. Naturally, all hitters have to do it. Ted Williams did it as well. The Babe did it. ...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
To determine the timing of TTB, I look specifically at barrel path. More precisely the depth of that path. Some hitters will institute a "running start" of sorts in order to get the barrel into the ideal location to "turn". But it still works the same. My definition of "push" may be different then other posters, but I see a push as a barrel path that is more out front. Typically (but not always) more downward. "Down and to" instead of "Behind and through" as some people would say. Then there is bat drag as well, which is different than pushing or TTB.

I'm not sure if anyone has stated that the obliques are not heavily involved in the process. I know for a fact that I have never stated that. But the hands/forearms are also very important. In a way, if a hitter uses too much arm and not enough core, you will end up with a push. If a hitter uses too much core and not enough hand/forearm, you will end up with a drag. It's only when both are used together that you can get the deep barrel path that I am looking for.

Added: The clip posted by rdbass is an excellent example. I can tell from the very last frame of that clip, that this hitter will have a solid barrel path. I am specifically watching his rear hip and his hands. He creates separation, and then starts to torque the handle. Swingbuilder would state "intent of the hands on the handle". I could be wrong, but this is what that phrase means in my opinion.

Depth IMO (from max tip) vs a floating running start is very misleading and will cause issues (dumping) when attempting to hit anything up and in..

gphrSbI.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Depth IMO (from max tip) vs a floating running start is very misleading and will cause issues (dumping) when attempting to hit anything up and in..

gphrSbI.gif
So in your opinion, Antonelli in this clip is the former (depth from max tip) and Bonds the latter, correct..or do I have that backwards? Anybody have a clip of Bonds hitting a high pitch?

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So in your opinion, Antonelli in this clip is the former (depth from max tip) and Bonds the latter, correct? Anybody have a clip of Bonds hitting a high pitch?

Yes, Bonds has a floating running start. The direction of the float also helps balance out his positive move towards the pitcher.

3wLHMQV.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, Bonds has a floating running start. The direction of the float also helps balance out his positive move towards the pitcher.

3wLHMQV.gif
Thanks. Got anything higher in the zone for Bonds?
You don't think it is possible to push from the leveraged position shown in rdbass's clip?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32