Tryouts? What is the #1 thing coaches look for?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
I would say effort & fundamentals would be the top 2 on my list if were holding try outs. #3 might be how well they listen and take instruction. #4 would be level of commitment. DD has been turned down by a team before because she was undersized, and they were looking for big bats. Last year she got turned down by a team because she was a year younger than the other girls, even though she was the only girl at tryouts that crow hopped throwing from the outfield and was the only one that did a side flip to the shortstop fielding a ground ball at second. She clearly would have been a top 4 player on that team, but just wasn't what they were looking for. It takes all kinds, and in the end you never know what the coaches are looking for.

Feb 27, 2017
I would say throwing and fielding for me, with attitude next. I can teach a girl to hit, and if she cant, she'll BUNT!

Apr 8, 2013
1) Pitchers
2) Catchers

Yep yep yep yep.

Because in the middle of the season when you see teams looking for players, 90% of them are looking for a "bracket pitcher" or a catcher. And then 9% looking for a shortstop. And 1% looking for utility players. Have yet to see the team looking for true outfielders.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Good stuff ^^^

"...average runners who are competent ball players and work together will beat "natural athletes" with bad gloves and eye-rolls every time." LMAO!! Truth!!!!

There is a lot to this.

There was a girl who used to play on DD 3's TB team. She is an incredible natural athlete, very fast, but her head wasn't always in the game. DD 3 is often the fastest runner on her teams, but this girl is faster. Trouble is, this other girl really didn't have the instincts to run bases well. Whereas my DD 3 was almost as fast, but had much better situational awareness. The other girl left the team, and decided to concentrate on track. I wish her the best, and I hope she continues to do well in track.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
There is a lot to this.

There was a girl who used to play on DD 3's TB team. She is an incredible natural athlete, very fast, but her head wasn't always in the game. DD 3 is often the fastest runner on her teams, but this girl is faster. Trouble is, this other girl really didn't have the instincts to run bases well. Whereas my DD 3 was almost as fast, but had much better situational awareness. The other girl left the team, and decided to concentrate on track. I wish her the best, and I hope she continues to do well in track.

Yep. Reaction time and game instincts are a big deal. One of the slowest runners on our team succeeds because she has a great head for the game, and is already moving while the faster girls are still evaluating the situation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00