Tryouts? What is the #1 thing coaches look for?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I had someone on this board once jump down my throat because I mentioned that I had briefly spoken with an AC at a tryout once to remind him my DD was a catcher and ask if they would like to see her catch (since they were ending the tryout and hadn't asked her to catch at all). This person insinuated that I was some type of psycho helicopter parent for coming any closer to the tryout than the parking lot. So, parents apparently can't win. Personally, I watch but do not interact unless someone asks me a question.

ETA: I was trying to reply to Corlay's post on p. 1, but the quote didn't come through.

In your case I think it only fair you mention the position your DD plays. However in general I agree that watching tryouts from as far away as possible is the best bet.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
With many of us heading into tryout season in a couple weeks. What do you think the #1 trait coaches are looking for in a tryout?

This is more what I believe coaches SHOULD look for at tryouts...

#1-Attitude / Hustle / Coach-ability - A coach spends a ton of time with players; it's much tougher if you hate them. It may not be tops on some coach's list at tryouts, but experience tells me that not long after the tryout is over, it determines the viability of the team.

#2-Hitting - If the player can hit, they probably work on it at home, along with other essential skills.

#3-Defense - If the player can't throw, catch, and field effectively, it's going to make for a long season.

#4-Speed - Speed is nice, and coaches tend to latch onto it at tryouts. When it exists with #s 1, 2, and 3, it's a beautiful thing. I've been guilty of looking past glaring deficiencies in other areas because a kid was athletic and fast, only to regret it later. I will pass on someone who can't get out of their own way, but average runners who are competent ball players and work together will beat "natural athletes" with bad gloves and eye-rolls every time.

#5-Arm strength - Which would you prefer...the "average arm" that hits the target most every time with a catchable throw, or the rocket-arm who throws it god-knows-where? Like speed, arm strength by itself means little.

#6-Knowledge of the game - This is perhaps the toughest thing to assess at tryout, but it's where the coach earns the big money later. If #1 is there, this is relatively easy and fun to teach. If it already exists, it can help compensate for a lack of "natural" athletic ability.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

#1-Attitude / Hustle / Coach-ability - A coach spends a ton of time with players; it's much tougher if you hate them. It may not be tops on some coach's list at tryouts, but experience tells me that not long after the tryout is over, it determines the viability of the team.

#2-Hitting - If the player can hit, they probably work on it at home, along with other essential skills.

#3-Defense - If the player can't throw, catch, and field effectively, it's going to make for a long season.

#4-Speed - Speed is nice, and coaches tend to latch onto it at tryouts. When it exists with #s 1, 2, and 3, it's a beautiful thing. I've been guilty of looking past glaring deficiencies in other areas because a kid was athletic and fast, only to regret it later. I will pass on someone who can't get out of their own way, but average runners who are competent ball players and work together will beat "natural athletes" with bad gloves and eye-rolls every time.

#5-Arm strength - Which would you prefer...the "average arm" that hits the target most every time with a catchable throw, or the rocket-arm who throws it god-knows-where? Like speed, arm strength by itself means little.

#6-Knowledge of the game - This is perhaps the toughest thing to assess at tryout, but it's where the coach earns the big money later. If #1 is there, this is relatively easy and fun to teach. If it already exists, it can help compensate for a lack of "natural" athletic ability.

Good stuff ^^^

"...average runners who are competent ball players and work together will beat "natural athletes" with bad gloves and eye-rolls every time." LMAO!! Truth!!!!

Jun 8, 2016
Tryout tidbit from youth, not really related to OP question, but something that I still remember. My father was running the tryouts for my LL organization many moons ago as he was hitting fly balls to the kids and Mark Hoyle was out there. If that name rings a bell he was the kid who was allowed to go to school with HIV, contracted through a blood transfusion as he was a hemophiliac. He was a good ball player, actually made our leagues all star team a few years later, but unfortunately that day my father hit him a fly ball and it him square in the head...

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
In your case I think it only fair you mention the position your DD plays. However in general I agree that watching tryouts from as far away as possible is the best bet.

Interesting, though, b/c one of Corlay's criteria was what the parent is doing during the tryout. It's hard to strike a balance between appearing interested and engaged without being TOO interested and engaged.

Sep 29, 2014
1. Well the pitchers thing is true...without pitching all hope is lost. But also true a pitcher has never won a game...the best a pitcher can ever do (striking out everyone they face) is not lose at some point your team has to score!!

2. Followed closely by the if you can hit I can probably find a spot for you on the roster. Great position players are not a dime a dozen (but good ones are) many more of them than great hitters and pitchers. My DS had the fundamentals down could field smooth as butter and track down a fly ball like it was nobody's business and steal and run bases with speed; but at 5ft 4 in and a bloop hitter having trouble adjusting to quality curve balls he was never going to get past HS ball.

3. Quality catchers

Jun 21, 2015
I like to watch tryouts and practices because I take enjoyment in watching my kid play. I do not say a word. It's fun watching her advance throw the seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois

Thank you for the response. You get an A+ for following directions. Out of 38 responses there might be 10 that have anything to do with the topic of this thread. LMAO :)

Jun 8, 2016
Interesting, though, b/c one of Corlay's criteria was what the parent is doing during the tryout. It's hard to strike a balance between appearing interested and engaged without being TOO interested and engaged.

If I was running a tryout I would figure the guy out in left field was certainly engaged but had a hard time keeping his mouth shut mainly because I am that guy..:p

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00