Tryouts? What is the #1 thing coaches look for?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
One of the girls on my DD's team is 'slow', but probably is the 2nd or 3rd smartest baserunner and in the top 3 for overall softball IQ on the team. She gives 150pct effort on every play and her bat is in the top half of the team.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Not always. My kid has been the direct cause of quite a few losses for her team. Thankfully, that doesn't happen much any more - lol.

Was it because the pitcher threw it high, low or wild? Pitcher didn't hit her spot. Pitcher caused the ball to be hit. If the catcher didn't block the ball, was it because pitcher was having a off day with that pitch?

Usually comes back to the pitcher.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Dropped 3rd strike (runner at 1B), passed ball, (runner at 2B), throw over F5's head on an attempt to stop a SB (runner scores). That one was ALL on my kid.

There was also the attempt to turn a 6-2-3 DP with bases loaded that ended with the ball deep down the 1B foul line after sailing over the head of F3 and F9. 3 runs scored. 3-2 loss.

Like I said...Thankfully, that doesn't happen much any more.

Jun 8, 2016
Dropped 3rd strike (runner at 1B), passed ball, (runner at 2B), throw over F5's head on an attempt to stop a SB (runner scores). That one was ALL on my kid.

There was also the attempt to turn a 6-2-3 DP with bases loaded that ended with the ball deep down the 1B foul line after sailing over the head of F3 and F9. 3 runs scored. 3-2 loss.

Like I said...Thankfully, that doesn't happen much any more.

So every other kid got a hit every time up and made every play in the field? I know you are being a bit facetious but win as a team lose as a team is one of the better cliches in sports...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So every other kid got a hit every time up and made every play in the field? I know you are being a bit facetious but win as a team lose as a team is one of the better cliches in sports...

My point was in debate of WM's position that it's always the P that gets the fault. There are lots of opportunities for others to blow things...especially catchers ;)

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I had someone on this board once jump down my throat because I mentioned that I had briefly spoken with an AC at a tryout once to remind him my DD was a catcher and ask if they would like to see her catch (since they were ending the tryout and hadn't asked her to catch at all). This person insinuated that I was some type of psycho helicopter parent for coming any closer to the tryout than the parking lot. So, parents apparently can't win. Personally, I watch but do not interact unless someone asks me a question.

ETA: I was trying to reply to Corlay's post on p. 1, but the quote didn't come through.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This thread took a strange turn.... add to it.

Ball hit to left center, went under CF glove. No problem LF is backing her up. Went between her legs too.

Urrr

Jun 8, 2016
My point was in debate of WM's position that it's always the P that gets the fault. There are lots of opportunities for others to blow things...especially catchers ;)

Yup and I hear parents tell their kids to make sure they squish that bug all the time too..:p Anybody (parent,coach,etc) who blames a loss on one player automatically gets put on
my internal "block" list. I have a feeling my list will be overflowing by the time my DD reaches 12U :cool:

Getting back to the OPs question, I think the list is dependent on age and on the ability of the coach to actually coach the
aspects of the list which can be coached...if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00